Old vs new 4-6-0

dennis461

Bought a newer Bachmann 4-6-0 to 'replace' my Varney 4-6-0. I was a bit surprised at the size difference. Height and length.
I've speed matched the Bachmann (slowed it down) to a MDC old time 2-8-0.
The Varney is going to get a can motor, it already has a decoder.
size delta.JPG

Wheel/axle denominations don't indicate a particular size of loco by quite often a large difference. What also will be different will be the diameter of the wheels, particularly the drivers.

In the prototype world, locomotives kept getting bigger and badder as time and engineering advancements developed.

The Varney model would represent a later (say a decade or so, and possibly more) locomotive than the Bachmann unit does. Not to mention several details between the two clue us in to an earlier era of the Bachmann model compared to a later era of the Varney model.

Due to this, both models look to be correctly sized scale-wise to me.

Many railroads kept older locomotives around even though they bought newer, bigger ones. The smaller ones might be kept for branchline work, or switching in yards, or as backup to the newer engines due to maintenance or simply increased traffic for holidays. This was especially true during World War II, when the government would not allow the railroads to acquire more engines. As long as your engines work, I would be glad to run them.
BTW, what sort of disaster caused all those people to be lying near the tracks? :eek: :p

Many railroads kept older locomotives around even though they bought newer, bigger ones. The smaller ones might be kept for branchline work, or switching in yards, or as backup to the newer engines due to maintenance or simply increased traffic for holidays. This was especially true during World War II, when the government would not allow the railroads to acquire more engines. As long as your engines work, I would be glad to run them.
BTW, what sort of disaster caused all those people to be lying near the tracks? :eek: :p
General public, shocked & fainted at the size difference too! 🤪

I was a bit surprised at the size difference. Height and length.
The 4-6-0 had the second* longest production time of any other class locomotive in US history (1847-1923) so one can imagine the size and feature variations in that time. It is also interesting that the 4-6-0s were some of the last locomotives running on shortlines (especially in the deep south) into the late 1950s. Petticoat Junction was not far from reality on that point.

*second to the ubiquitous 4-4-0 (1836-1928)

Last edited:
The tender had some glue damage, I am trying to cover the bad spots.
The light is getting a tiny LED installed, I thinks it is around 0.5mm.

IMG_4745.JPG

Back