Old Thurston County layout

skillman

I was reminded of this layout in the greetings section. I found some pictures probably from the mid 80s. These pictures are of pictures I have so may not be the best but it'll give an idea of what it used to be. This was/is in the basement of the Thurston County Fairgrounds.

P1030302.jpg

P1030301.jpg

P1030300.jpg

P1030299.jpg

I understand that it is still there and has been rebuilt. The problem always was that the basement was quite dirty and had poor lighting and air circulation. It was a bitch in hot weather when the Fair was on. We had to be there and open during fair hours. I hope to go see it sometime and see how it has changed.

Steve

The layout now is a lot bigger, it takes up the whole basement. It is also very well made and looks outstanding. It's definitely worth checking out. There is a member of this forum who is an active member of the OMRS, Railfan i think is his name. I hope to become a member as soon as my work schedule allows me to have Thursdays and Saturdays off.

The layout looks nothing like that now. I'm currently reworking a section of the upper level in the back corner at Dupont. Anderson will also be getting a make over. I've been a member now for about 4 years and we've done a ton of work in that time. Here are some photos of what it looks like now.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW, I hardly scratched the surface. There is still a lot more to be seen than what I've shown in the photos so far. We've also changed so much that even my photos from a couple years ago seem outdated.

Well Ted that's a huge improvement over what it was. My congratulations. It looks like the basement got a good makeover. The problem back when was that everyone was invested in some small part of the layout and didn't want to see it torn out. That and the fact that there was no money to do it. I'll try to get over there and check it out sometime.

Steve

Thanx ted, that's exactly what I was looking for!
I am planning the next mill right now and needed that nudge.

The best times to catch us are between 6pm and 9pm on Thursday nights, and between 10:30am and 1pm on Saturdays. The first Thursday night of the month is a business meeting between 7 and 8pm. Second Thursday is operations. And the third Thursday is open running. The rest of the time is generally work/run.

Back