Old project I just re-found

Skipjacks

On a recent visit to my mom's house I found an old project I worked on as a kid.

I scratch built this roller coaster when I was about 15.

I never finished it because I turned 16, got a driver's license, and suddenly girls were not inaccessible. (I stand by my choices!)

Its fallen into disrepair a bit over the last 20 years. But I think I may have to restore and finish it.

Here are some parts of it. I will set it up a bit more and get a more complete shot soon.

Its all HO scale. (Which is a damn shame because I do N scale layouts now and this would look awesome on a layout.)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423577741430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577741430.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 183
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423577787811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577787811.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 165
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423577804194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577804194.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 175
More of the structure

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423577844715.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577844715.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 164
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423577860030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577860030.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 160
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423577886156.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577886156.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 159
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423577919492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423577919492.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 159
I never finished it because I turned 16, got a driver's license, and suddenly girls were not inaccessible. (I stand by my choices!)

If you finished the project you would have saved a whole lot of money. Anyway that's some project you had going.

Very nice work. I don't think I'd ever have the patience to scratch-build a project that big. Impressive.

Funny how how women can change your frame of mind :cool:. Looks like things were going great until. . .

Maybe you should put 'life' aside and rebuild it in N - would be a very novel project. Are there any thumbs-up on this forum???? All I find is smiley faces.

Dang and I thought building a trestle was tricky!
Very impressive, can't wait to see the rest of it!

Very nice! I used to build wood and tissue paper airplanes at that age. I know what it's like to have to glue stuff like that up!

Very impressive. I love coasters! I built the Coaster Dynamics Comet Coaster in HO scale and even did a write up on it for Internet Modeler but that's nothing compared to yours

Since you have it in HO, why not use it as the centerpiece for an HO diorama? Now you have a reason to finish it! (As if you needed one!)

That's really cool! Models like this take a lot of time and patience to make look good.

I design wooden roller coasters for a living, the full size ones aren't any easier to build!

That's really cool! Models like this take a lot of time and patience to make look good.

I design wooden roller coasters for a living, the full size ones aren't any easier to build!
Now that is awesome! I wonder if I have ridden anything you designed.

I LOVE wooden roller coasters. Much better than steel...aside from that first hill.

The rattle of the wood....that is where the action is.

As an expert, you might notice my coaster train is exactly modeled on the older PTC car. I will get a close up shot of one of the cars. I even have the lap bar locking mechanism modeled i to the left side of the cars.

I also have the breaking system modeled in the station but I didn't take pictures. Its a pneumatic sled break complete with the air compressors, not the more modern trim systems.

Yes, I did notice the PTC cars. I work for Great Coasters International, too bad they aren't Millennium Flyers!

Personally, the things I've worked on in your area (not new rides) but the repairs to the Coney Island Cyclone and Lake Compounce Wildcat.

I look forward to you finishing this!

Adam, I once rode the Cyclone for 13 hours. It was part of a competition to see who can last the longest. Only reason I lasted that long is because I was in the first car. Everyone in the last (3rd) car was finished after 4 trips. One of the prizes was a year's worth of free rides. Sounds ridiculous, but I was definitely on that ride a few dozen more times that year! I grew up not far from Coney Island and it was a family favorite for decades, still is. Just have to be careful not to eat too much Nathan's before riding!

I have ridden several coasters for multiple hours. I used to be in the American Coaster Enthusiasts club as a kid. We would go all over and get exclusive ride time on coasters after the parks closed. I love that feeling of gliding into the station and and not even slowing down!

Back