OK I think I goofed.

rfxcasey

In my enthusiasm to "just do it" I have pretty much jumped the gun and worked myself into a pickle. I had been thinking of track plans for my L shaped HO scale layout for quite some time but I had a weekend to work on it and in my haste just sort of half planned my approach figuring it would all work it's self out. Well one change in plan lead to another and now I think I need to rip the whole thing apart again and undo about 2 days worth of work.

He's my deal, I have 2 4x8 table tops I want to use in a L configuration in the corner of my garage. The benchwork has been sitting for over a year so I figured I better get going. On one of the tabletops I glued down 2 inches of pink foam. Then, on top of that I started adding layers of foam strategically so I could have 2 levels. I wanted to create a high outer loop going counter clockwise with a low inner loop going clockwise but somehow tie them together so you could choose to circulate the trains on the upper of lower loops.

Well, needless to say, I think I should have just stuck with a flat layout. Given the amount of room the HO takes up my grades are too steep and at least one of my turns is too tight and basically goes nowhere now as I can figure out a good way to connect it and complete the circuit.

I am going to be totally humble here and admit I am somewhat lost and need help cause I am developing a new appreciation for the thought and effort that goes into making even a small layout. I am going with a whole new track plan from scratch. Any L shape HO suggestions please? I would like something of a medium complexity that isn't too hard to maintain.

The other issues is I will try to construct the whole layout using flex track but find it might be a little difficult to maintain the shape on this pink foam. My basic thoughts are to just rip up everything but the 2 inch flat foam base and glue all my straights in place. Then once those are dry and are stable start adding the curves using the anchored straights to help the curves hold there shapes. After that I figured I would just form the roadbed my digging away at foam the around the tracks.

I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just finished up the table work for my HO railroad, like you, with 1/2" foam layer, but I wanted to get the flow of operations so I layed out all my track...you can see video here: http://www.vimeo.com/11214805.

I'm glad I took this approach first as I was looking at some elevations and with the track down realized it wasn't going to have the results I wanted, so I've completely redesigned the layout. HO takes up a surprising amount of room much faster than I thought it would. My new layout is flat, but allows for a whole bunch of interactivity. At least, I think it does - I'll find out once I redo the layout ;)

I share your pain! I built my former layout quickly just so I could "git 'er done." It took ~4 years for me to realize that my design had 1 major flaw: Even though it worked fine when it was only me running trains, it was very awkward to host group operating sessions because of the narrow aisles and several duck-unders. So I finally bit the bullet and started taking everything apart last December, to replace it with something more operator-friendly.

Every layout is a learning experience, at least for me it is anyway! :D

I just finished up the table work for my HO railroad, like you, with 1/2" foam layer, but I wanted to get the flow of operations so I layed out all my track...you can see video here: http://www.vimeo.com/11214805.

I'm glad I took this approach first as I was looking at some elevations and with the track down realized it wasn't going to have the results I wanted, so I've completely redesigned the layout. HO takes up a surprising amount of room much faster than I thought it would. My new layout is flat, but allows for a whole bunch of interactivity. At least, I think it does - I'll find out once I redo the layout ;)

I am really thinking flat is just fine for HO especially if you are somewhat limited on space which you quickly find yourself when working in this scale.

Thanks for the support to both of you. It was only about 2 days worth of work so it's a pretty small sacrifice compared to having to live with something disjointed for several years. I'd rather just get it right the first time so I can least be satisfied with it. A "bad" track plan can kill the whole project of this I am sure.:rolleyes:

at only 2 days of work i wouldn't say it is much of sacrifice :)
chalk it up to prototyping and ironing out your layout design ideas.

one thing, you said your layout is in corner of garage. since we talking4x8 diesn't it create problems with reach?

It may not help here, but don’t forget that in the situations where the run (length of track going up) is too short for the rise (the height it must reach) ie; too much grade for a track crossing, you can also slope the lower track. This requires you to be able to ‘depress’ the lower track below the table level, with a bit of work it can be done.

You may find that undoing the last two days, plus two more, and then figuring out how to make this work, will have you back up to speed in about a week's time. If the outer loop is a bust, then ditch it and stick with one level.

-Crandell

Iancole, consider removing the S curves on the back side. They will typically give you problems in the long run.

Iancole, consider removing the S curves on the back side. They will typically give you problems in the long run.

Thanks ... the new layout is 3 concentric circles, with a little variance at the ends to allow for some scenic aspects, and no S curves ;)

at only 2 days of work i wouldn't say it is much of sacrifice :)
chalk it up to prototyping and ironing out your layout design ideas.

one thing, you said your layout is in corner of garage. since we talking4x8 diesn't it create problems with reach?

Well, for most people yes, but my arms are 5 ft long so no problems. Except for occasionally stepping on my hands accidentally.:eek:

No, not really, the layout is away from the wall about 2 feet so there is an isle behind it. It's actually going to be 2 4x8 tables in an L shape though even that is subject to change.

Back