NS or CSX

h44

here is question how many prefer the NS over the csx when it comes to model railroads or protype
my observation theres a lot of NS baseds layout but not as much csx, also on the protype i have seen a lot of pics and video of bad track on the csx but not much on the ns.
thanks
mark

here is question how many prefer the NS over the csx when it comes to model railroads or protype
my observation theres a lot of NS baseds layout but not as much csx, also on the protype i have seen a lot of pics and video of bad track on the csx but not much on the ns.
thanks
mark

I have both NS and CSX..I like 'em both and couldn't decide which one so I buy both and will rotate between the two.

This discussion has popped up before somewhere, or atleast every railroad forum :D I think alot of people model NS because its easy to convert locomotives to NS paint. A spray of black, some decals, your good to go. I prefer CSX because of the Chessie/Seaboard heritage.

I like them both. I have NS on my layout when I want to run post 1990s operations, as I model the local predecessor, the Southern Railway.

I like CSX because I think the paint scheme is cool (grey, blue, yellow).

It also helps that both run through my former home state.

I like both, but classic Black is so cool and never goes out of style (timeless).

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the B&O and all its incarnates...C&O, Chessie and CSX. I swap out things on my model RR that are "time specific" so I can run anything form steam to modern diesels in any of those liveries.

But if I wanted to model what travels in my neck of the Northeast, It would have to be NS or Canadian Pacific!

NS maintains their track better.

At first, I started modelling CSX, but at the club that I belong to, we have a guy that owns more locomotives than CSX ever did, a guy who models BNSF, a guy who models Conrail, another guy who models CSX, two guys that model UP, a guy who also models Conrail, and a guy who models Boston and Maine steam.

Instead of competing with the other two guys for addresses for CSX locomotives (the president literally owns everything they made for CSX, and then some since he also custom paints). I decided to model a local regional line, Pan Am Railways (formerly Guilford Rail System, which is a holding company that operates the Boston and Maine, Maine Central, Portland Terminal, and Springfield Terminal). At the time, Pan Am Railways ran pretty much all GP40s. Then (the prototype) Pan Am Railways partnered with Norfolk Southern to create the Patriot Corridor (which is basically Pan Am's main line that NS is paying to fix up and maintain in return for trackage rights) so I started modeling NS as well since there are rumors going around that NS may buy out Pan Am since they are very interested in getting into the New England area (to compete with CSX)

Idk how big ur layout is... in my area NS owns most of the major lines but CSX owns some older lines that run through the area. CSX serves the local scrapyards and NS runs the mainline between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg so... y not both? If I couldn't make up my mind thats certainly what I would do :D.

CSX would be a great subject for model railroading if you lay track poorly and like to hold up running trains to clear derailments..... Your steam program would be a j3 4-8-4 and a couple of Berkshires.

NS would be fun if you want to show modern day railroading with No Steam, or back a few years with 1218, 611 and the SRR locomotives pulling heavyweights.
Both have similar scenery and unique equipment to each road.

Back