NS burgandy car & engine?

PNKFLOYD

Mikey
Returned to work from lunch today and found a black and white NS GP38-2 on the siding attached to a shiney burgandy NS engine and business car.

The engine looked like the GP38-2, less the turbine fans. The top of the engine was notched about 10 feet for the missing area. Had "RESEARCH" in gold lettering. A guy was standing in the cab door. I did not see an engine number, but I was in automotive traffic.

The "NS 34" car looked like a cross between a business car and a Sperry track inspection car. It has a beautiful matching burgandy paint job with "RESEARCH" in gold, also.
Does anyone have an idea what these beauties are?
Mikey

Just a wild guess but I'm thinking this is a new technology engine attached to a dynamometer car to keep records of its performance. The standard NS engine was there to haul the other two when the new technology engine is shut down. They may be running tests on tractive effort on grades, rail stress, and a whole bunch of different parameters. If it's anything like I saw on the inside of a UP dynamometer car, the whole thing is filled with instruments and computers.

Before the cab was added......

ns34.jpg

WOW!
You guys are amazing.
That is the car and engine I saw.:cool:
It was headed east from Birmingham, about to go through some mountainous terrain toward Altlanta.
Thanks to everyone for the information and pictures.

Just one more reason to hang around this forum.... and the waitresses in the coffee shop are so nice, too.
Mikey

Can I be a waitress??....LOL:D

Shauna- You will have to apply at the coffee shop in the ANPL section at the bottom of the forum list. You can use me for a character reference as I have as little character as anyone on this forum.:D

Just be aware some of these old rascals sit over a cup of coffee for hours and only leave a 15% tip. After their senior citizens discount.
Mikey

Back