Now this is just silly

Shipping & handling is where they bite you in the a-- on an E-BAY sale,Buyer bewhare!!!! I haved watched quite a few auctions on there that are un-real.
I check prices on Iteams before I bid,then check shipping if the total is more than the local hobby shop,I will not bid!
My 2cents worth
Jim

People do not do their homework before bidding, both for the availabilty and shipping.

I've been following some auctions for a lens I'd like to get for my camera. I can get it brand new in the box with full warranty from many dealers for $530-550. I see used examples of this lens going for more than these prices, and one last week sold for $796.00!!! Go figure, for a USED lens! I'll bet the seller is overjoyed! Stupid is what stupid does I guess!

People do not do their homework before bidding, both for the availabilty and shipping.

I've been following some auctions for a lens I'd like to get for my camera. I can get it brand new in the box with full warranty from many dealers for $530-550. I see used examples of this lens going for more than these prices, and one last week sold for $796.00!!! Go figure, for a USED lens! I'll bet the seller is overjoyed! Stupid is what stupid does I guess!

I once sold a Husqvarna chainsaw on ebay that was new in the box and they bid it up to about $50 over what it sold for at Lowes or Homedepot. I couldn't believe it. I shipped it of free.

Amen to people not doing their homework. There's a seller with NCE decoders (in particular D13SR 4 packs). He does auctions for low starting bids, plus usually has some " Buy It Nows" for 61.95 at the same time. Often times the auction goes higher than the B.I.N.! Why pay 67 bucks for something when you can just buy a set in a separate auction for 62? :)

For some people it is the "thrill of the hunt" on EBay - it's like gambling or something. SSSssspin that wheeeeel! :D

Mark

I have bought and sold tons of items on ebay. Only got screwed twice once as a buyer and once as a seller. Overall I am very pleased. Better record than most retailers. Some buyers put what they want to make off an item to cover their profit and ebay doesnt charge fees on shipping. Others just feel they need to make extra because of the trouble of shipping which is no big deal since this guy comes and puts letters in your mailbox anyways.

I have yet to figure out what people are thinking. For example I took the couplers off of 50 cars because I am changing to kadee and I tossed in some trucks and junk.
All scrap repair parts and very usuable. I had good pictures and description. It went for $38.00 and I have no idea why. The guy was tickled with my trash. Go figure!!

My coupler & wheel auctions always sell well, though I've got a few "picture deceiving" feedbacks. I always reply to those ones, "Listing said what you see is what you get, look closer".

Anyways...

The one thing that you have to watch is if a seller does not state the shipping and handling charges on the auction . I will ask him before I bid. If he cannot give me a straight answer i will not bid on the ietem!!

The one thing that you have to watch is if a seller does not state the shipping and handling charges on the auction . I will ask him before I bid. If he cannot give me a straight answer i will not bid on the ietem!!

Same here, good policy to bid by.

Guys, here's another one: CN Switcher

Ok, I MUST be missing something here. An Athearn BB SW1500 for 76 bucks?? The last one I bought on EBay (granted not in "as new" condition) I paid 13 bucks for. Doesn't look like shilling in this auction, and yes there are two new-ish users involved.

Seriously guys, help me out here...what are these people thinking...

Mark

:eek: Collectors maybe? Looking for that "gotta have it switcher"?

I still don't get it either, I could probably still walk into the LHS and still buy one like that for well under half.

It's the buyers that drive the prices on ebay. If they want something bad enough, or they get in that "Oh you won't outbid me" mindset. I've seen junk go for big $$, and excellent models for for almost nothing. Just my 2 cents worth. DARN IT!!!! I've been outbid again!!! LOL

In the 2007 Walthers catalogue it lists this model as Retired. Online it lists it as out of stock. I'd pay $4.00 more for it if I couldn't find it anywhere. I just make up for it on the next auction where I buy something for half retail. Shipping has gone up a little since last spring but some of the sellers are just ridiculous. I seen a package of 2 deisel horns listed at $1.99 with $24.95 shipping on it. Why would anyone in their right mind list shipping prices like that.You are paying ebay listing prices for nothing as noone is going to bid on your item. I only buy from sellers I have dealt with before or whose shipping is reasonable. Some sellers ship for a lot less than places like Walthers do.

Back