Norfolk southern radio reciever car new toy

dragonriversteel

Dragon-River-Steel-Corp
Hello all,

Along from modeling steel . I have a love affair with Norfolk Southern & Southern railroads. My wife & I recently went to bullstreet station hobby shop in Savannah,GA.

Looking through the kits I came across a wrighttrac models HO southern radio reciever car. I've been wanting this kit for as long as its been out {about five years }. Cost a pretty penny $49.00 for the resin kit. My wife bought it for me {I'm to cheap}.

Being not able to see very well,it was still a breeze to put together. If you model Southern or NS this is a have to have kit.Below a pictures of the loco-trol car.Along with an Atlas 8-40-C and SD80MAC.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

loco-trolcar001.png

loco-trolcar007.png

loco-trolcar009.png

loco-trolcar008.png

loco-trolcar004.png

loco-trolcar003.png

Patrick, you must still be pretty good to put together a resin kit. Nice looking car. I've seen those in trains before and always wondered if they were locotrol cars.

What exactly is the purpose of those cars? I've never been able to find out.

These cars were designed & built by southern shops. There purpose was to increase the radio signal to locomotives futher back pushing from behind. Mid-train helpers on long coal drags,recieved the signal from the first locomotive.It was then repeated to the mid-train locomotives.

Patrick
Beaufort,SC
DRSC

NS is now using these radio control cars for distributed power in long unit coal trains. In addition to repeating the radio signal to mid-train helpers for locomotive control, it also sends signals to operate pneumatic braking systems that control slack action when the train is on a grade. It's a pretty cool system.

Back