NMRA Membership?

otiscnj

1. How many people here are NMRA members?
  2. Are you a member of the Layout Design SIG?
  3. How old are you?
  4. How long have you been a member?
  5. Why did you join, or not join?

As for myself:
1. No, I am not.
2. No, although I used to watch a website that I thought was maintained by the group.
3. 51
4. I've never joined.
5. I never joined when I was young, as I didn't have the funds, also I found the members to be somewhat elitist, when I was younger, at least in my area. The organization has done some useful things for the hobby, in terms of establishing standards or recommended practices, and such, but I am more of a loner, than a club joiner.

I was a member of the James River Division back in the late 80s/early 90s. I think I had to maintain membership in the NMRA to be a member of the JRD. I let my membership lapse as the NMRA was imposing to many rules on the layout tours and other activities as well as lack of interesting activity with the JRD. Seems there were problems with the head office of the NMRA as well and they were airing it through the monthly newletter.
I am my own club now with a 2000 square foot basement filled with a 6.5 scale mile double track mainline with active interlocking signals and DCC.
Although I'm sure I have accomplished many things covered by the SIG award program, I'm not really interested in obtaining awards for what I do in the hobby.

This is a topic that periodically comes up on various forums, and it sort of predictably gets locked after a few days (and a few hundred posts!). But until that happens,

1. Not an NMRA member.
2. Not an LDSIG member.
3. 66
4. Was a member of both for a couple of years.
5. Joined for the prospect of benefits I thought I'd get, but didn't.

The LDSIG is an in-group, and I'm not big on in-groups. The benefits of NMRA vary widely among the various regions and divisions -- if you're in a good one, it can have real benefits, but if not, it's a waste of time and membership dues. A lot of the national projects appear to be ego trips by some of the prominent national officers.

[*]How many people here are NMRA members? - Yes

[*]Are you a member of the Layout Design SIG? - No, probably should be though since that is my strong point

[*]How old are you? - 56

[*]How long have you been a member? - 2 years (should have joined as a life time member when they first started the teen division - I didn't and regret it).

[*]Why did you join, or not join? - AP program - Master Model Railroader

Last edited by a moderator:
The LDSIG is an in-group, and I'm not big on in-groups.

As a long-time member of the Layout Design SIG and the current editor of its magazine, the Layout Design Journal, I am biased positively toward the LDSIG, obviously. But what does "in-group" mean?

The LDSIG has a thousand or so members. While a few are well-known hobby names, the vast majority are "regular folks" who enjoy model railroad layout design, want to learn more about the topic, or wish to share what they have learned with others.

Anyone who is curious about the LDSIG may download a few pages of each of the recent magazines from this page. Scroll to the bottom for the most recent magazines with downloadable "samplers".

I'm also a member of the NMRA and receive good value from my membership in each group.

[1] No, used to be, but dropped out of the hobby for about 20 years, and just never re-joined. Now that I'm back in the hobby and have my layout up and running, I might think about it, finances permitting.
I'm 71-1/2

1. How many people here are NMRA members? - No.Never have been. I thought about the trial membership the other day. I may some day.
  2. Are you a member of the Layout Design SIG? - What is this?
  3. How old are you? - 43 years old.
  4. How long have you been a member? - This should have been an "if so, how long" to question #1.
  5. Why did you join, or not join? - I have been out of the hobby for 15 years or so. I thought about the trial membership the other day. I may some day. This thread may sway me one way or another. Lets try to keep this civil guys. I am really interested in hearing more.

No-have been a member of the operations SIG. At the time my best friend started it.
Since early 1970's and now am life member
I joined for the opportunity to meet the people we always read about in the magazines. I also joined for the camaraderie and the life long friendships I have picked up over the years. Although I am active in the AP program and have 6 certificates, I'm not in any hurry to get more. They'll come when they come.

Member since 1992
Have been an OPSIG member, but not at present.
The club I wanted to join required it, but I don't regret it. The NMRA does a lot for the hobby with product standards, and you do get to meet a lot of interesting people. I too have made some lifelong friendships and picked up some good information that helped my modeling. it's getting awfully expensive and I'm not nuts about the selling of the building and movement of the library to California, but that's democracy for you. Sometimes you end up in the minority!

Four AP certificates, Also in no hurry to get more.

Motivated by this thread, I went looking for the status of the proposed library move from Chattanooga to Sacramento, first mooted in 2009 and highly controversial at the time. It turns out that nothing has changed in 4-plus years: http://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/...mes?reply=22688761573072880#22688761573072880 The 2013 announcement raises many questions -- in 2013, the NMRA seems to have said it was a big surprise that TVRM approached them asking to buy the headquarters building, but as of 2009, the NMRA was already trying to sell it. By the same token, the numbers and narrative for the library move, and the opening of the rump Howell Day exhibit, are completely unchanged -- $500,000 - $750,000 and it's gonna happen real soon in 2009, same numbers, same happy talk in 2013. This raises a lot of questions in my mind -- where has the money and effort been going for 4-plus years to get no change at all? Is this worth $66 a year? Individuals need to ask this for themselves, but frankly, it looks like the NMRA honchos have been putting money down ratholes for many years -- Chattanooga itself was a controversial move; now they want another boondoggle. Too little talent with too much of other people's money, as I see it.

This is a topic that periodically comes up on various forums, and it sort of predictably gets locked after a few days (and a few hundred posts!). But until that happens, ~ snip ~.

The above quote from a post seems to be right on the money and as members become disgruntled with other members posts it will be locked, we are getting close to that now

How many people here are NMRA members? Yes
Are you a member of the Layout Design SIG? No
How old are you? 68
How long have you been a member? 11 Years
Why did you join, or not join? To support those that support us.

I sure wish those that say they didn't get anything out of NMRA would explain in detail just what they expected. One very important benefit is the standards set by NMRA and used by the manufacturers. Without that, our engines and rolling stock may or may not match, digital power systems would be totally incompatible, decoders and electronics unique to one system only, etc., etc. Another very important and seldom used benefit is the Achievement Program. The AP is not about being a top dog, but about improving your modeling skills to a level you can be proud of and recognized as such.

Also, always remember that those that do the majority of NMRA's work are volunteers. That doesn't mean they don't need a building to work from and don't need to pay the overhead of operations.

No, not an NMRA member, not a layout SIG member, age 57, after experiencing membership in a local model railroad club, lost all interest in even considering being a member of the NMRA. I left the local club when our son was born, and thought the dues money was better spent on him and later on, our daughter. Now that they are in college, I'm quite comfortable with being a lone wolf modeler, especially since I now have my own layout.

Not an NMRA member and never will be.

Over the years I have been a member of various organisations and they ALL have one thing in common ... it is the "management (head honcho's etc) that decides what will and what will not happen, regardless of the thoughts, needs or wants of the membership", and that is nothing less than Elitist. As such, I am not going to waste money on something that I don't need.

From what I have read (in general) like all organisations such as the NMRA, whether it is good or bad depends on which "Group" you are with. So much for standards.

My personal view is that while the NMRA and other such organisations, may have been created with all good intentions, they are little more than a place for a select group of people within those organisations to beat their own chests, tell each other how great they are and pat themselves on the back once a month for what a great job they are doing.

And GenSet:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jwb
Too little talent with too much of other people's money, as I see it.

And naturally you, with neither money nor time invested, have all the answers. Right.​

Apparently, you do so why not tell us instead of just being critical of someones post?

Last edited by a moderator:
Am I a NMRA member?
No, but I know organizations like this are critical for setting standards. I have enough faith in the NMRA to say that any DCC control system that meets the NMRA standards will do what it is advertised to do. Also it is great to buy any brand DCC locomotive and know it will work with my system.

Am I a member of the Layout Design SIG?
No and to be honest I have no idea what that is.

How old am I?
51, but I am just a toddler when it come to model trains. Other then Christmas trains I have less then 2 years experience in the hobby.

Why did I not Join?
I have never really considered it, being a novice I don't have much to contribute. So far I have only joined the Lionel Railroaders Club because they offer discounts and has paid for itself many times over. I will however look into NMRA membership and when my knowledge of DCC progresses to a point that I do have something to contribute I will more then likely join. Unless of course it is unreasonably expensive.

Now I have something else to learn about, that is one of the many reasons I love this hobby, always something more to learn!

[*]How many people here are NMRA members? Not me, anymore

[*]Are you a member of the Layout Design SIG? No

[*]How old are you? 60

[*]How long have you been a member? I joined for a year back in 2002, then another year in 2006

[*]Why did you join, or not join?
The first time was for the AP, but after all the hoops I had to jump thru just to get my first certificate, I realized that with all my family responsibilities, I just didn't have enough time to devote to that quest. The division for my area [Mt. Clare - Baltimore] had been defunct for several years so I had to make an hour's drive to Virginia to have any face-to-face contact with any other members. That, plus the fact that I'm not a natural extrovert, made it nearly impossible for me to break into any of the cliques down there. The second time, I was involved with the Steel Mill Modelers SIG and temporarily reactivated my membership in 2006 so I could give a clinic at the National show in Philadelphia.

... One very important benefit is the standards set by NMRA and used by the manufacturers. Without that, our engines and rolling stock may or may not match, digital power systems would be totally incompatible, decoders and electronics unique to one system only, etc., etc. about being a top dog, but about improving your modeling skills to a level you can be proud of and recognized as such. ...

Ya mean like the MTH mismatch of their DCS to DCC and Digitrax compared to LokSound? There may be some lingering compatibilities between different OEM software, but the gap is slowly getting bigger. Example; a loco with a LokSound decoder can be put into a consist as a second unit but the functions, i.e. lights and sound can still be operated without breaking it out of the consist. Try that with Digitrax.

I am not, and never have been, a member, but I respect the role that the NMRA plays in developing standards and promoting the hobby. It's an essential role, in my opinion.

I remember the days when every manufacturer of cell phones had their own style of chargers, and often changed that when phones were upgraded.

Back