Next HO Scale Build. CNW 4279

adsbnsf

I have a few Proto 2000 GP7s around so I finally decided to do a CNW Chop Nose GP7. After doing some research I went with CNW 4279 in the OY Scheme. Model Date is early 1990's before it was retired in 1994. This is the progress so far.

Chicago & North Western CNW 4279_Melrose Park IL_Kenneth Larson_1994-04-00_84662.jpg

Picture 001.jpg

The Cab is an Atlas SD24 with the front windows of a GP38-2.
Picture 005.jpg

With the nose chopped and new class lights.
Picture 008.jpg

With detail parts added and body/plow modifications done.
Picture 010.jpg

Picture 011.jpg

Picture 012.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

Last edited:
WOW Great Progress! Its looking good so far, cant wait to see it painted in the CNW colors :D

Do you plan on weathering it as well?

WOW Great Progress! Its looking good so far, cant wait to see it painted in the CNW colors :D

Do you plan on weathering it as well?

The plan so far is to weather it. I like how on the nose the Zito yellow is coming through from its SYa scheme days in the 1980's. The plan is also to give it sound.

4279 never wore Zito Yellow- the Zito is just patch painting were spot repairs were made. Many other CNW units also got this same treatment- the 4279 is unique though as it was one of the few CNW's GP7s (1566) that recieved a chop nose in the 1960s instead of during its program rebuild at Oelwein in 1981.
I like the method you used to make the cab for the chop job- that's a lot easier than some of the other methods I've seen used. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

4279 never wore Zito Yellow- the Zito is just patch painting were spot repairs were made. Many other CNW units also got this same treatment- the 4279 is unique though as it was one of the few CNW's GP7s (1566) that recieved a chop nose in the 1960s instead of during its program rebuild at Oelwein in 1981.
I like the method you used to make the cab for the chop job- that's a lot easier than some of the other methods I've seen used. Looking forward to seeing the end result!

Matt Holman
Spring, TX

Thanks for the correction. I got it mixed up with another locomotive CNW 4297.

Some progress shots of 4279. Details painted and decals/flat finish applied. Still deciding if i want to weather it or not.

Picture 016.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 018.jpg

Picture 019.jpg

Picture 020.jpg

Last edited:
very nice with the sunburst yellow patching on the short hood. I wish I could get some brooms so my C&NW units could finally be considered finished.

Looks great, nicely done. I have to ask, where did you get the broom for the detail on the nose.

It is an Evergreen Hill Detail Part called Street Broom. I have tried to order more, but they are currently back-ordered since April from Walthers.

Im a big CNW guy as well. What brand paints are you using and how much are you thinning it?

I try to stick with Floquil paint. Thinning I have noticed depends on the day. I'm usually around 25% Floquil thinner and about 16psi on the compressor. I did not use Floquil CNW pre-made colors since i'm not a fan in painting a base in gloss paint.

Back