Newbie learning DCC wiring...

PittBull

1. I am trying to learn how to properly wire a brand new 3'x6' N scale layout for DCC. I am just learning the electrical terms like "main bus" and what it means.

2. I have used the NEC Pro Cab on an N scale layout a couple of years ago by simply wiring it directly to the track. This time around, I want to do it correctly and get slightly more complicated.

3. I have yet to settle on a layout to fit my space. I am leaning to a WWII period staging area for tanks and such.

I would like to know a couple of things before I go any further:
A. I'd like to operate my turnouts, frogs? electrically through the NEC system if possible. If it is possible, how would I do it. Where would I go to get the information?
B. If I want to add lighting, crossings, etc., will I need a separate transformer? or can the NEC handle this too?

THanks so much for your time and suggestions.
DSFletcher

How much money do you plan on spending on these remote DCC switch & crossing gates control boards vs some double pole switches. It can get expensive.

George

When I built my first layout, I used manual switches because I did not want to mess with the electrical side and I could reach both of them. This layout will be a little more involved.
1. Where would I go to learn how to wire/install DCC friendly switches.
2. Is Digitrax a better system than NEC?

Thnx.

When I built my first layout, I used manual switches because I did not want to mess with the electrical side and I could reach both of them. This layout will be a little more involved.
1. Where would I go to learn how to wire/install DCC friendly switches.
2. Is Digitrax a better system than NEC?

Thnx.
When you buy switches they should say DCC friendly or compatible. For example the description on this switch is what you would look for.
https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/mic...m-code-70-5a-frog-turnout-standard-left-hand/

When it comes to DCC systems it's all preference in what you want. You have options of different size amps depending on the size of your layout, how many engines your going to run at a time,and if you want wireless are just a few things to consider. I belong to 2 clubs that both use Digitrax so my home layout would be the same. Foolish for me to use a different system and have different throttles. When I go to a friends house that's in the club I can just bring my own throttle to use on his digitrax layout.

There are a number of books and articles on how to wire for DCC. I would check various forums and especially Wm. K. Walthers catalog (or online) for books of this subject. Personally, I like the NCE Powder Cab to run my DCC locomotives, but do NOT have my turnouts controlled in DCC. Instead, my powered turnouts are run off a separate AC power supply with push buttons and control switches on track diagrams on my control panel.

Hi DS -

Congratulations on your new layout!

It's important when requesting help on a forum to always use the correct names for things. This helps to avoid confusion. For example, the company that makes your DCC system is NCE, not NEC. And the name of their all-in-one DCC controller that you are apparently using is the NCE Power Cab, not the NCE Pro Cab. The Pro Cab is a separate product (a throttle) that is also made by NCE.

The NCE Power Cab combines a throttle, a command station, and a booster into one handheld device. Basically, the Power Cab is a Pro Cab throttle to which NCE has added a command station and a booster in the same handheld package. In other DCC systems (including more advanced systems from NCE), the three components may be three separate devices. The Power Cab puts them all into the handheld.

Anything you want to control with your DCC controller must be equipped with a DCC decoder. Each locomotive must contain a mobile decoder, which receives instructions from the DCC controller. The decoder responds to the instructions by controlling the speed of the motor, turning headlights and other locomotive lights on and off, and producing locomotive sounds (if the loco is equipped with a sound decoder).

Turnouts can be controlled with a stationary (or accessory) decoder. When the stationary decoder receives instructions from the DCC controller, it controls a motor or servo that moves the points of the turnout. On my small layout, I use servos controlled by stationary decoders from Tam Valley Depot. Their Octopus board can control up to eight turnouts. There are many other makers of turnout control boards.

Regarding wiring a DCC layout, check out the Wiring for DCC web site.

Lighting is a whole separate discussion. It can be as simple as using a switch (or switches) to turn LEDs on and off. Power can come from a small wall transformer, often called a "wall wart." Companies including NCE and Woodland Scenics sell layout lighting systems.

To control lights with DCC, something like NCE's Light-It product will work. Again, there are other vendors with similar products.

- Jeff

1. I am trying to learn how to properly wire a brand new 3'x6' N scale layout for DCC. I am just learning the electrical terms like "main bus" and what it means.

2. I have used the NEC Pro Cab on an N scale layout a couple of years ago by simply wiring it directly to the track. This time around, I want to do it correctly and get slightly more complicated.
On a 3'x6' layout you certainly don't need a bus. I have done it on a 4'x5' layout once. That was a total waste of my time and resources. Buses are generally used when one needs full power 10, 25, 30 feet from the power source. One could put in a bus but there would be practically no value in doing so. Simply wiring it directly to the track as you did before will be perfect. Depending on the track plan you come up with -- especially if it has any reversing loops --, you could use 4-6 sets of wire from power to track. Do not make things more complicated than they need to be.

A. I'd like to operate my turnouts, frogs? electrically through the NEC system if possible. If it is possible, how would I do it. Where would I go to get the information?
The magic word here is "stationary decoders". Many companies make stationary decoders specifically for turnout control. The specific type you need will be determine by what type of turnout motors are used, and if the frogs are hot or not. Twin coil machines like Atlas and Peco will require a different decoder than turnouts motored with stall motors such as the ubiquitous "tortoise". Circuitry for powering a hot frog will be a feature on some and not others.

The wiring would be quite simple. Usually two wires from the NCE power out to the stationary decoder, and two or three wires from the decoder to the turnout motor. A hot frog would usually dictate one more wire from the decoder directly to the frog of the turnout. In my opinion the harder part is programming them and learning how to use the DCC throttle to work them.

B. If I want to add lighting, crossings, etc., will I need a separate transformer? or can the NEC handle this too?
If you mean like building lighting, street lighting, moving marry-go-rounds, and the like, then no you do not need a separate power supply. The NCE can handle this, but rhetorically I say, "Do you really want to?". The reason I ask is that DCC power is very expensive (with a Pro Cab I am guessing it was hundreds of dollars). Compare that to a simple wall-wart type power supply that can be had from any thrift store for a couple bucks. I always recommend saving all DCC power for things that need DCC.

Crossing gates and crossing lights can be different depending on how automated they are. Without more specifics it is tough to comment.

Back