New Type of Contest? - Opinions Please

sushob

Entrepreneurial Teen
I was looking back at the past few photo contests' entries and realized how much talent there really is on this forum. It got me thinking about other possibilities for contests, and I started tossing an idea around in my head (yes, there's plenty of empty room in there to toss stuff around :rolleyes: ).

Here's what I was thinking; I would consider sponsoring a contest, perhaps monthly or bi-monthly, in which I would provide the participants with identical freight cars, detail parts, decals, etc, so everybody would start out on an equal plain, and budget would not be an issue. The contestants would then have a certain period of time, say two weeks, to construct, detail, and weather the kit using only the parts provided. Each participant would then photograph and submit a photo of their work, and I would set up a poll similar to the photo contests so forum members could vote for the piece they consider to be the best modeling work. At the end of the voting session, the modeler with the most votes would win that month's prize.

Due to the costs involved, I would likely limit the activity to the first five participants per contest, and ask that nobody enter two consecutive contests in a row, so that more people would have a chance to participate. I would also announce the prize and subject model beforehand, and ask that only those who would have a specific use for the prize enter that particular contest. I would like to see the prize go to someone who will be able to use it on their layout, and would rather see somebody wait until the next contest to have a chance at a prize they would find more useful than have something collect dust on a shelf.

Alternatively, I could request a small fee, say $5, to help cover the kits and shipping costs, and offer unlimited participation. This is the kind of thing I would like to get opinions on.

The contest model would likely be HO scale, however the prizes could be N or HO scale locomotives, freight cars, layout tools, scenery packages, etc. I would try to provide some fairly significant prizes...;)

This is in NO way intended to replace the photo contest, as the existing contests cover a much greater spectrum of subjects and opportunities. This would be intended to draw more people to the forum and create some more excitement, as are some other ideas in the "Forum Activity Suggestions" thread a little ways back.

To make sure the forum is not held responsible for anything, I would have to write official rules to make it clear that the contest is conducted through me and get Bob's permission to use the forum to post anything before we could start. I just wanted to see if there was any interest in this kind of thing before I spent the time researching fine print :)

So, what do you think?

Sounds like a GREAT plan there Nate! I'd be willing to pay to get in on the contest. I dunno about weathering, but yeah. Oh, and, I just had a carry over thought from another forum, but I'll make a new thread for that.

Very interesting. I'd suggest a single contest as a beta run to test the waters, then go from there.

The Big Kahuna (Bob) needs to weigh in on this though. There may well be a reason he wouldn't be comfortable with it. Bob, what say you? :)

Very interesting. I'd suggest a single contest as a beta run to test the waters, then go from there.

That sounds like a good idea. I'd like to have at least 4 or 5 more people voice an interest before I'd even go as far as setting up an initial contest though. So far the response hasn't been very encouraging...

The Big Kahuna (Bob) needs to weigh in on this though. There may well be a reason he wouldn't be comfortable with it. Bob, what say you? :)

I've PM'd him before about starting some kind of contest or donating a prize for the photo contest, but I know he's really busy. I would take care of this contest, so I don't think it would really require any kind of maintenance on Bob's end (unless I need a mod account to post a poll with pictures, but I don't think so). However I do realize it is his time, money, and effort that keeps this forum going, and I will certainly respect whatever decision he makes. :)

How 'bout it Bob?

Sounds interesting to me.

And an additional thought. Whoever wins each contest can enter their prize in a year end finale competition for the grand prize? So we can see how they used their prize.

Maybe this could be funded by an additional couple bucks thru the year.

Yes I went there and suggested more work for someone else.

Good luck with it.

That is very interesting, all participants with identical conditions. Too bad, that I'm far away.

Wolfgang

I would like to participate and would be willing to buy the kit/parts myself. Do I get to keep the car after? Sounds like alot of fun.

Sounds like a very cool idea Nate. I'd be willing to give it a go, If you'll allow Canadians to enter.

sounds fun to me, but the cost of shipping over the pond would be a bit tough on the wallet,,, but if i paid shipping cost or whatever,,, Mmm
do you have PayPal Nate that would be the easiest way for me.

I'll give it a thumb's up

do you have PayPal Nate that would be the easiest way for me.

Sure do.

Sounds like we have enough interest to run a Beta Contest. I'm going to PM Bob to see what he thinks about this, and maybe we can get it going for a May contest.

Back