New Tool in the Workshop

Red Oak & Western

I'm still in the process of getting this set up, but here is the new tool I mentioned in the Laserboard thread -

Laser1.jpg

Laser2.jpg

It has a 50w CO2 laser with a 11-3/4" x 19-1/2" capacity. It will cut/engrave wood, paper, acrylic. Slow going setting it up, as I don't have much free time right now.

Geeez! that is badass. Those things are really becoming popular now for modelrailroading. Over on MRH forums, there's a guy there that build a turntable, and roundhouse stalls. All from his 3D printer. Crazy!

I've downloaded a set of around 40 YouTube videos on setting up and using the machine. I've made it through the first 6 so far. Now I need to spend the time in the shop getting it set up. I need to connect the cooling and exhaust hoses, power cables, and make the computer hookup. It is a purchase I have been planning for almost 2 years. It consumed just over 18 months of my model railroading budget. But from what I've seen them do on YouTube, it should be well worth it. This model has much better specs than the smaller desktop models that are available. It will do both cutting and engraving (etching). It claims to have 0.1 mm accuracy (0.004"), so it should work well enough for anything I want to do.

My first planned project is a group of "company houses" - small 4 room houses built by the coal company for their workers. I was amazed to find that for a number of years Iowa (the location I model) was the number 20 producer of coal in the US. Its amazing what is revealed when doing model railroad research!

Here's a typical "workers" house:

Small_Company_House.jpg

They were made by the thousands all over the country with small variations in style. If you look close you can see the outhouse in the background. That must have been a tough life.

Back