New On30 Track Plan

Track has been laid and scultamold and rock ceramic mold has begun, along with locomotive weathering and stock car weathering.

image_50457857.JPG
image_50459649.JPG
image_50738689.JPG
image_50737921.JPG

Hi all,

Things are finally starting to look like a proper railroad now. Grass tuft going in and painting has started on the rock face. I've found it a learning process with the rock molds, I managed to get a good technique going on the upper mountain, the one in front is a little rough texture wise, but that should all be disguised when I come back with some brown paint, filling in with grass on the ridges, etc. Next will be the switch, getting the grass down, as well as a fence and some cows on the field.

IMG-8370.jpg
IMG-8365.jpg

Thanks! The mountain is actually just awaiting another coat of paint and brush to be applied to it. I have a couple layers of acrylic wash to do, the issue was with my sub-par sculpting, I left lots of gaps difficult to reach with a standard brush, so I had to come back and do some indoor spray painting to get into all the crevices. Not recommended but it was a solution. Next I'll go over it all with a redder rock wash and then a white highlight. The ravine is planned to be a tunnel, first I'll have to finish the inside before putting a hood over it so to speak. I don't mind for now having it be open

4% is reaaaaaaallly steep. As long as you are ok with trains of two or three cars, you will be fine.

I would be tempted to saw off the top of the steam dome and fill up the saddle tank with birdshot (or plaster for that matter) and glue the top of the dome back on to make sure the engine had enough pulling power.

4% is reaaaaaaallly steep. As long as you are ok with trains of two or three cars, you will be fine.

I would be tempted to saw off the top of the steam dome and fill up the saddle tank with birdshot (or plaster for that matter) and glue the top of the dome back on to make sure the engine had enough pulling power.
Yeah, 4% was a necessary evil to get the size of the layout I wanted with the double loop. It might even peak 4% past in some areas. I'll be having short trains anyway due to the shorter size of the layout so that doesn't bother me, 3 cars max. Maybe if I get a double header using DCC I could swing more. Have you done that type of modification on an engine of yours before? Haven't heard of that one

IMG-8401.jpg
IMG-8400.jpg

Added highlights to the rock faces which has helped bring them to life. They turned out to be more gray than originally planned but I think I like the effect. Next is finishing the highline and then working on the other side, which will be a small pond under the trestle (which I'll have to figure out how to make low budget but still strong enough to support the trains).

What did you use to get the rocks lighter in color, technique and products?
I did some YouTube research and found that simple acrylics mixed in water seemed the easiest to first put on. So I experimented with mixing different grays, and I have 3 different rock colors I'm using. I'm still unsure if it was worth it to do the base coat with a wash - while it produced a really nice texture that filled all the crevices nicely, I ended up having to go back with a spray bottle anyway and get all the hard to reach spots, painting over 50% of the rock face in parts. So maybe it's better to have a base layer of spray paint, I'm not sure (the reason for so many gaps was my bad rock molding technique which left them there). The other issue that you run into with washes up close is you can see where it runs a bit. So you have to be careful how much you apply, your dabbing technique and what kind of ratio paint/water you're using..too much and it'll look like the rock is crying!

IMG-8404.jpg
IMG-8405.jpg

IMG-8406.jpg

Back