New old Tyco stuff, what oil ?

csxfan

I just bought some really old Tyco locomotives,they are new but squeak too much, I think it needs some oil lubricating. What oil should I use when there is no LHS around,to buy special train oil and how and where exactly to apply it. I've never lubricated anything yet. thank you.

A good oil for those is easy to find. It's in every auto parts store or automotive center. Dexron/Mercon transmission oil. Just a small drop on en the gears is sufficient. Apply it with a toothpick. I have locos that are 30-40 years old and that's all I use on them.

Yep, Dexron Mercon II. It's all I have used since 2005. Every one of my new locos since then, most of them steamers with all those hinged, sliding, and reciprocating parts, have gotten the ATF treatment.

So nobody uses Labelle anymore?
I'm sure a lot of people use it. But I look at it from the standpoint of cost. My total annual income is $8,500. So why should I pay ~$10 for half an ounce of lube when I can get a quart of a substitute that works (in my opinion) just as well for less than $6. If I want the convenience of a small bottle with a needle tip applicator I can buy one on Amazon for about $4 and refill it as needed. So for an investment of say $10 (ATF + applicator) I have enough lube to last several years easily. My choice of applicator is very affordable. A toothpick. I can get a lot of them for a very low cost, say ~ 1,000 for a couple of bucks.

A couple of weeks ago I was looking at the different lubes for model trains that were available. I can't remember which one but it worked out to over $5000, yes, five thousand dollars a gallon!!!!!!:eek::eek::eek: I'll post it if I come across it.

Is this for the motors or the trucks? I was thinking of trying a dry lube similar to graphite for my trucks.
I tried that once. The graphite quickly migrated down to the rails and made them slick as oiled glass. Try at your own risk but I won't do it again. I don't even keep graphite around unless it's in a pencil lead.

I'm sure a lot of people use it. But I look at it from the standpoint of cost. My total annual income is $8,500. So why should I pay ~$10 for half an ounce of lube when I can get a quart of a substitute that works (in my opinion) just as well for less than $6. If I want the convenience of a small bottle with a needle tip applicator I can buy one on Amazon for about $4 and refill it as needed. So for an investment of say $10 (ATF + applicator) I have enough lube to last several years easily. My choice of applicator is very affordable. A toothpick. I can get a lot of them for a very low cost, say ~ 1,000 for a couple of bucks.

Exactly, it's why I use regular automotive paint thinner instead of buying all those little bottles of dio-sol. If it's good enough for my father's 600 dollar HVLP spray guns at the shop it's good enough for my testors paint brushes.

Back