New Layout, Suggestions Needed

Thought about that, but think they would look better hidden, recessed them with that in mind. I got time to keep thinking about though…

Installed a few Caboose Industries, leave it to me to take something simple and make it out to be brain surgery 🙄 A couple I wasn’t sure about, between the tracks or opposite side of the arm, but they are in now so even if it’s wrong it’s right lol Need to post a video with what I got done so far, got no one to share it with but you guys. First though, I got one heck of a mess to clean up!!!

Think I usually see people who have to install backdrop using backer board, but is there a problem using Sheetrock? Got an opportunity to buy more than enough to do what I need to do for both levels at a discount price, but thinking the cons outweigh the pros or I would see more people doing it…

Think I usually see people who have to install backdrop using backer board, but is there a problem using Sheetrock? Got an opportunity to buy more than enough to do what I need to do for both levels at a discount price, but thinking the cons outweigh the pros or I would see more people doing it…
I have never used drywall for a backdrop but see no reason why it wouldn't work. It would be heavier, and a little, more work to install and make look seamless. Just guessing here since I have no experience using it for this purpose.

My Home Depot has hardboard in 4X8 sheets for around $15. I had them cut the sheets in half. do in comparison, I got 16' of backdrop for #15. I didn't screw mine to the studs. I glued and used my brad nail gun to attach. I didn't have to then mud ant screw holes which speeded up the process a great deal. I only mudded the seams.

Spent a few years doing drywall, hanging and mudding, so can get it done pretty quick. Will have to wait for spring though, do it outside so all that fine dust isn’t around the train stuff… Paying half that for the Sheetrock so a big savings there with all I need, some 45 minute dry pre mix and I am set…

I am so dumb!!! Been mulling over a problem the past few days, track not aligning as planned. Couldn’t figure it out, thought I had made a mistake with pen and paper drafts of layout. Got to the point where I concluded the only solution was to tear down a stud wall, move it back about 15”, finish laying track… Then this morning, sitting in the recliner enjoying a cup of coffee, it dawns on me. I am trying to add a turnout that doesn’t even belong there! I pull out the layout plan and sure enough, no turnout. There is absolutely no reason for what I was doing, I cannot for the life of me figure out in my head what I was thinking, wasted 3 days being stupid 🙄

I am so dumb!!! Been mulling over a problem the past few days, track not aligning as planned. Couldn’t figure it out, thought I had made a mistake with pen and paper drafts of layout. Got to the point where I concluded the only solution was to tear down a stud wall, move it back about 15”, finish laying track… Then this morning, sitting in the recliner enjoying a cup of coffee, it dawns on me. I am trying to add a turnout that doesn’t even belong there! I pull out the layout plan and sure enough, no turnout. There is absolutely no reason for what I was doing, I cannot for the life of me figure out in my head what I was thinking, wasted 3 days being stupid 🙄
Don't worry, we all have our blonde days :D yours just lasted longer.

Ok, so bottom level inner loop track is all down, got to wire up a couple sections, hopefully I can get a video posted tonight after work so you guys can let me know what I did wrong and get it corrected before I go any further…

Installed a few Caboose Industries, leave it to me to take something simple and make it out to be brain surgery 🙄 A couple I wasn’t sure about, between the tracks or opposite side of the arm, but they are in now so even if it’s wrong it’s right lol Need to post a video with what I got done so far, got no one to share it with but you guys. First though, I got one heck of a mess to clean up!!!
Chris I can't tell for sure which atlas switches you have but if they are the newer style you can change the through bar to the opposite side very carefully and I used some balsa wood for the base using a couple screws i had handy plus a small drop of plain old Elmers glue never had one come loose
Even did one where it was too close to the wall my bad but it worked
And those screws probably a million of them in that box

Attachments

• IMG_0346[1].JPG
    IMG_0346[1].JPG
    489.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0349[1].JPG
    IMG_0349[1].JPG
    390.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0351[1].JPG
    IMG_0351[1].JPG
    319.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0354[1].JPG
    IMG_0354[1].JPG
    517 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0353[1].JPG
    IMG_0353[1].JPG
    631.7 KB · Views: 25
Need to figure out why the picture quality is terrible, but it’s a start
It's because phones are made for talking to other people!:rolleyes: Nice progress though.
Regarding what Mike posted about Atlas switches, I have been reversing throwbars for years, with switches that are at least 25 years old.

Willie Just wanted Chris to know he can alter those Atlas switches
I wonder when Atlas switched from the riveted points to the clip style ones Maybe early 90's I know they changed their company name about then from Atlas Tool Co. to Atlas Model Railroad Co. so maybe about then ???
I still have a few of the ones with rivets and they have plastic frogs I still had some on my layout still worked fine

Also have a few really old Atlas switch kits and the brass is still shines like new must have used a better brass material note the price $1.25

Attachments

• DSC_0119.JPG
    DSC_0119.JPG
    392.1 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for looking All, and keep coming with the suggestions, comments, criticism, whatever it may be, it’s the only way I will get this right without much experience or knowledge 😉 Gonna go back and fix a couple issues on what is “complete” before I proceed further…

Back