New Indoor N Scale

roofintrash,

That is something I will have to look at; however, the plan is a double main line so trains can run in both directions but not from the yard evidently. Thanks for pointing that out.

Maybe this will show direction better:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-29-001_zps4zlelicm.png

Made a couple of changes to the S/E yard so trains can get in and out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, still playing with this things and have come up with something new using smaller radii (16" instead of 18"). This plan does not include any yards or spurs other than the spur for a town on the western side.

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-30-003_zps8dnja8kf.png

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-30-004_zpsh1eguzzz.png

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-30-005_zpslmalzqjz.png

The Green is the counter clockwise main that will be used primarily for passenger trains and the red is the clockwise main primarily for freight trains. The biggest difference with this design, other than the smaller radii, is the addition of 3 long passing tracks that should hold any train that I run.

Any thoughts on this one?

Looks pretty good, but looking at the plan on the phone is a bit difficult. Have to check it out Monday on a larger screen. My computer room is under construction Tony.

Chet,

Thanks mate and I couldn't imagine what it is like looking at something on a phone. How's the renovations to the computer room going? Can I assume from your post that it will be completed this weekend?

It will probably be another month Tony. Once painting is done, we still have to do the flooring and base boards and trim work.

After all the work we did last year, I was a bit hesitant of doing more renovation, but my wife said I wouldn't have to do anything. Other family members would do the work.

All I would have to do was supervise. Fine with me, but I know that I'll be doing the trim carpentry. When we're done, we'll have a new 40 year old house.

It is nice to have the help. I do a lot for other family members, especially when it comes to vehicles so I guess what comes around, goes around.

Morning guys,

I think this will be the final main or base design, barring any mods to the "main yard". Industry (probably only two of them at this point) has to be included within the design once I have decided on what industries I want and, naturally, some general tweaking during construction:

TONYCANNON-PC-2016-jul-31-001_zpsnipi9irm.png

The only issue I now have is when I will be able to begin the build.

Jim,

Ahh the green was supposed to be the main passenger route and the red was suppose to be the the main freight route; however, now I look at it more closely, I don't know :(

The center area is going to be the main town region, so long as there is room to do what I am envisaging, so that would make the red route the passenger route wouldn't it. Now I am confused - again.

My only thought would be that if the red is a passenger route I would consider making that southern spur a through spur rather than one the train would have to back down into . Hope that makes sense.

One thing I didn't take into account when putting this together was the wiring. Can anyone see a potential problem with the design when it comes to wiring it all up? I haven't inadvertently included any reverse loops or anything that will require anything more than a Bus Wire and Feeders have I?

Chet,

Thanks mate, I think it works as a base plan. Have modified some of the curves a little to make them friendlier and lowered the central small yard so I have more room between that yard and the northern track for the town. Iron Horseman is working on "fixing" the yards and adding in industry, two things I am hopeless at doing, so am looking forward to seeing what he comes with.

All in all though, I am (believe it or not) pretty happy with what I have so far and can't see any "serious" changes being made to the "base plan" with the exception of the industries of course. I know how everyone LOVES industry :)

IF the plan were to remain exactly as is (which it wont) I will have about 140' of track with about 107' of mainline track - the important stuff to me :) With that length of mainline, I should be able run some reasonably decent length trains without them looking as though they are only chasing their tails and trying to catch themselves. One of the things I like about this design is the inclusion, and length, of the passing lines that will allow me to run two trains in opposing directions, something I have never been able to do before.

I also think that it is "broken up" into areas that will allow for some decent scenery. The main town now being centrally located with a smaller touristy town/area to the west and the eastern side for industry, forests etc with each area being separated by something be it the river of elevation.

Okay, sorry for the ramblings ... kinda wrote what I was thinking and am pretty excited about this venture :)

Here are some of the ideas that I had based on the latest main line design. Don't know if they will really fit into their spaces or not.
1. Changed the yard lead to the siding instead of the main.
2. Reduced the distance the loop on the lower left side goes toward the edge of the board.
3. Had an idea for the upper left corner dead space.
4. Re-did the main yard to make it less symmetrical. Added a 3rd track but that certainly isn't that meaningful.
5. added an industrial track to town in center left.
6. Suggest getting away from the very front tracks being parallel to the benchwork.
7. eliminated the 2nd double ended siding (passing track) in the town on the lower left. It is not necessary and mostly wastes space and a turnout.
8. added a 2nd industrial siding going the opposite direction using a crossing to get there.

Tony Indoor N Scale II Ideas.jpg

Horseman,

Thanks mate and I like the things you have suggested. Now I need to see if I can work it all in.

Reach into the n/w and n/e corners is going to be a "stretch", around the 40" mark, but I knew that from the start. Having the tunnel in the n/w corner was only put there to "break up" the blandness of that area and for no real reason. What would you suggest for that area, knowing the reach situation, if I removed the tunnel?

Thanks mate and I like the things you have suggested. Now I need to see if I can work it all in.
that is always the trick isn't it.

Reach into the n/w and n/e corners is going to be a "stretch", around the 40" mark, but I knew that from the start. Having the tunnel in the n/w corner was only put there to "break up" the blandness of that area and for no real reason. What would you suggest for that area, knowing the reach situation, if I removed the tunnel?
I don't think I would remove the tunnel. In fact the tunnel lets you hide a notch or something in the bench work and scenery that you can use to as under layout hand access the track inside.

Horseman,

So far I have "re-aligned" the center yard and made the changes to the track work that you suggested. Certainly is more interesting and takes away the "square look". Have also added the siding to the western town/yard track work, and that works well also. Will be playing with the other changes later this afternoon/evening.

You make a good point about the tunnel allowing for beneath the layout access; as such, the tunnel stays.

Back