New Hobbyist

jpf5911

Thanks for having this forum. I'm planning an outdoor G scale layout in the yard of our central Florida home. I have zero experience with trains although I previously spent several years in the RC airplane space.

I just purchased three pre-owned Bachman Big Hauler sets and some track. I set up an oval in the garage, plugged in the controller and . . . nothing. I noted the track was corroded so I cleaned it and the locomotives actually worked!

I've got these initial questions:

1. What is the best material choice for outdoor track?
2. Is there a wireless option for operating these units?
3. Are there spare parts available? Two of the locomotives have broken pieces that guide the piston push rod (see pictures).

Thanks,

JPF

Attachments

• IMG_2875.jpg
    IMG_2875.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 33
Welcome to the Forum JPF, unfortunately, I have zero knowledge of G scale but I'm sure one of our members will be able to offer assistance.

Last edited:
JPF - Welcome to our forum. I also have no knowledge of G scale, so I am of no assistance. Hopefully someone comes along who can share their knowledge.

Welcome to the forums, we are glad to have you!

1. I would think Nickle-Siver track would be your best bet. It doesn't oxidize as fast as brass or steel.

2 & 3 Contact Bachmann, they should be able to help you.

I wish you well and keep us posted.

Welcome JPF! Remote Control is growing in the North East. G Scale operation in winter demands it. I found out these are all battery powered so even plastic track will work. Being in Florida look around for some train shows and garden rr clubs and you will fit in.
One company I will look into is based in Penacook NH just down the road from hearah. Remote Control Systems of New England , they have website and were present at the Last Springfield Train Show. That is all I know about them.
Your rods may be fixable. I would replace the broken end with a brass rod and groove the backside to accept the extra length of the rod and epoxy it in. Good Luck!

Welcome the new bluenami from soundtraxx is what the local guys up here are going too and they run dead rail so there are batteries in the loco or tender.

Check Bachmann if you don't see it call them I've gotten parts for stuff not listed online.

I've got these initial questions:

1. What is the best material choice for outdoor track?
Stainless Steel

2. Is there a wireless option for operating these units?
Absolutely, Several brands of controllers for that. G-gauge is big enough to carry some good sized batteries on board.

3. Are there spare parts available? Two of the locomotives have broken pieces that guide the piston push rod (see pictures).
Yes, contact Bachmann directly, or they are all over e-bay. OR you can send the loco to them and they will repair it. Used to be $10 shipping plus parts. Don't know what it is these days. Mine did come back with green wheels rather than red though!

Back