New here and NEW layout

Pantherdux

OK, OK, I know another 4x8 layout. Right now all the space I have. Bought the 6 year old a set and feel I will play with it more than he will. So here is my layout so far:

DSC_0023.jpg

Will I be able to make that 2nd level with such a small space? or will the incline be to steep? I also want to tie both tracks into each other on the close end...doable? Thanks in advance guys!!

Chip should be able to show you how he did his, it was a similar idea.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome aboard. We have another member named Chip (SpaceMouse) who has a very similar concept layout although I think his is longer than 8'.

There are several issues I see with your layout. The first is that the second level appears to be right up against a wall on two sides. Your maximum reach is about 33". It's going to be almost impossible to reach in there and rerail a car or fix any track defects. The second is the grade to reach the upper level. Without seeing a track plan, I don't know how you are going to accomplish this. It looks like that second level is about 10" above grade. The rule for grades 1% for each 100" of run. You want to hold grades down to no more than 3% if possible. Assuming the 10" estimate is right for the second level, you are going to need 333" of run, or almost 28 feet for a 3% grade. That's obviously not possible is the space you have available. You could loop the track to reduce the run but you'd still need to have about 7 loops to get a 3% grade which means you're now talking about a helix, a rather complex beast to construct. You may want to step back and take another look at your track plan as this one appears to have some major flaws that will cause you a lot of grief.

Yep check with Chip and that grade will be impossible to climb for your locomotives. I find if you do a 4x8 those claw devices that seniors use to reach stuff is like an extra long arm and is very useful !!! And yes welcome and have fun !!

Grade help

This is my old layout. I went from 0 to 3" with a little more track than the 18 inch radius curve you see in the photo. It's was just high enough to clear the engines and rolling stock. Just like the New York Central near the city. I'm not sure of the grade. I do know one engine and 8 cars were the max for the grade. Two engines 16 cars. The layout was 10.5 X 4.5 with the 3 tracks being a 25R, 22R, 18R. Sorry about the photo being in a different thread.

NYC_George

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I guess I should have asked a different question. Is the layout in the first picture N or HO scale? If it's HO, the top of that caboose must be at least 3" tall. The tunnel opening appears to be twice the height of the caboose so that's another 3". Add another 2" for the rest of the cardboard and plywood and it comes out somewhere between 9 and 10 inches. In N scale, that would be 4 inches. In N scale, a grade might work on a 4x8. In HO, it's an impossible grade. I have no idea which answer is right without knowing the scale, I assumed it to be HO.

It is HO...I could lower it a tad bit. I am thinking of adding an additional 4x4 though on this close end. That would help and then probably be doable!!

Thanks guys!!

that is a very steep grade if in HO. yes you can reduce the 2nd level hight by 3" but it still is steep and any loco would have a hard time pulling more than 5freight cars up an incline like that.I would suggest removing the plywood 2nd level and making an platue (sp?) only where you have trackage. this way yourincline can start at the far right corner radius, slowly decline along the right wall make a 180 turn and end up flush with the lower level. then make mountains only where you have room.

Back