"NEW" Digitrax PR3

Alcomotive

Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Anyone have one of these little gems yet?

http://www.digitrax.com/prd_compint_pr3.php

I just ordered one today from one of our very own here on our forum...Ryan from www.modeltrainstuff.com Great price by the way!:p

I can not wait to get it (the PR3) and get hooked up to my shelf layout and program track via computer. I have the Zephyr Set DCS50 Throttle/Command Station/Booster All-In-One deal, I also have the UR91 Radio Equipped/IR Receiver Unit and the DT400IR Super Throttle (radio/infrared).

Anyways it does a lot neat stuff supposedly dealing with sound, cvs and what not. I have JMRI installed already on my PC but only have used it a few times at a club layout. So now I have taken the full plunge into the guts of DCC programing.:eek:

http://jmri.sourceforge.net/help/en/html/hardware/loconet/PR3.shtml

If any of you have already been using this I would like to hear from you on your comments, pro and cons if you have those thoughts.:rolleyes:

I'm kinda a newbie to all this myself , but I used Decoder Pro (JMRI) from day one , It's so easy to use it's not funny , it does all the thinking for you. I bought my first DCC unit this spring (NCE power pro) so it had the computer connection via RS232 already.

It uses Loconet to talk, so I would imagine Digitrax is the only thing it works on, but I'm not a dcc guru either.

I've been using one now for 3 weeks and it's it leaps above the MS100 I had before just from the simple fact of it being USB no big bulky connectors with adapters to plug into the computer. But at the fact that you don't need a command station to be able to program is even better. I have it hooked up to a small piece of track next to my computer and can now program without having to be plugged into the command station so less wires running across the floor/room. But you do need a power supply for it to work without a command station. I'm just using an extra Digitrax PS12 I had sitting around.

Very cool Mavrick0!
Is there anything else you can say about it? I should have mine in a couple of days. Are you using DecoderPro by JMRI? or something else?

I've had mine for about a week, so I have not had a chance to use it much. I used Decoder Pro to program a Bachman Hvy Mt. It took less than 5 minutes. Set up was extremely easy, just make sure you follow the directions about installing the driver from the disk. You will definately be glad you got it.

Wouldn't use anything but decoder pro, just makes life so much easier to program engines specially when speed matching. Other then that it works great and glad digitrax finally got it out specially with newer computers not having the RS232 connection anymore or in my friends case using his laptop which of course only has USB. And once you set it up for it keeps those settings until you change them so it's not like everytime you go to use it you need to set it again.

Sweet!
So all I can do now is wait for Mr. Snail Mail to show up at my door step with my new toy... :rolleyes:

I am so ready to get started on that. I have begun to make a nice console for my Zephyr, UR91, PR3, and my throttle pocket holder for my DT400IR.

All this for my temporary tiny shelf layout that is 12 feet long and 2 feet deep.:D :p

Sweet!
So all I can do now is wait for Mr. Snail Mail to show up at my door step with my new toy... :rolleyes:

I am so ready to get started on that. I have begun to make a nice console for my Zephyr, UR91, PR3, and my throttle pocket holder for my DT400IR.

All this for my temporary tiny shelf layout that is 12 feet long and 2 feet deep.:D :p

I'd like to see your layout and your Zephyr console.

AAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! Help!

I am going crazy! I got my PR3 today in the mail! I got it hooked up! I loaded the CD for the driver etc....I cant get the computer to communicate to it because I cant figure out the right COM...how do I get this right since I am using the USB link...I identified which USB it is....it says VCOM Port on HUB 0, Port 1. The description says Communications Port and device type Communication. It also says connected YES, Sfe to Unplug YES, and Disable NO.

So do I change in Decoder Pro the setting to COM 1? Under preferences?

Ugh I am stuck!

The PR3 USB light is Blinking green for MS-100 mode
Stat light is blinking Red ....

Also when I start Decoder Pro it says in the dialog box "Connected via Loconet PR3 on COM3"

I am wanting to use the PR3 for program track only for now...I have it a plugged in right just cant get communication going....

Mavrick can u help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alco, I don't know anything about the PR3, but I had to set the speed at 19.2 (for loconet) and parity for my LocoBuffer II to work. Maybe that is your problem. The computer should have found the connection and setup the correct USB. Look at the USB's properties.

OK now I think I made progress...my computer recognizes it no problem...

I set the mode switch for Programing mode which 2 green blinks per second on USB and no other lights on.

I think that is right.

Now I go to Service Mode (programing track) Programer setup...

I put a loco on track I hit IDENT button...it says at the bottom....

Read CV 29...stopping due to error: timeout talking to command station

what does that mean?

If I hit the read type of decoder button I get this....

Read MFG ID - CV 8...stopping due to error: timeout talking to command station

hmmmm what to do now?

Ok, those messages are saying that you are not communicating with the command station and decoder. If the computer settings for USB is ok, it would mean that the loconet in not connected, programming track is not connected or the command station is not in the right position. I have a Super Chief and am not that familiar with the Zephyr settings.

I have to admit that the USB thing may be a lot different than the Com1 setup and the USB speed is a set value. For Com1, you go to control panel, systems, hardware, device manager, look down the list for com1 and right click for properties. Here you set the speed and parity. All this is on my other computer and I would have to wait until a.m. to check.
EDIT: I would have thought the CD setup should have taken care of all this. Have you tried programming on the main? Is there an instruction file on the CD?

Also, check in Device Manager and see if it's listed under LPT and Com Ports. A lot of apparent USB things are really emulating com ports and the correct setting can be found in Device Manager.

Yeeeeeeeeees! I got it running! My problem was the Baud on the com speed didnt match the speed of the PR3. Now we are up and running!
I already put 3 locos on the JMRI roster and programed them to my liking!
I will keep this setup for a while until I learn all the ins and outs then I will take the next step and hook up to my Zephry and shelf layout. JMRI is easier than I thought. The wonders of technology in our hobby!

Back