New CB&CNS layout; OH Boy! will probably take the rest of my life

CBCNSfan

Registered Member
Staff member
Well folks it's time to bite the bullet and get started. Obviously it's going to be a folded dog-bone, loop to loop whatever. The basic bench work is done and in place (except for one section still laying on top of one of the peninsulas.
The measurements are on the drawing and some of my wants are 1 coal mine Power plant combination with loads in and empties out set up for the power plant. There will be a harbor and waterfront depicting fishing
Mainline radius 30" min most turnouts #6 code 100 track-age
The light blue areas are where the the area of the module can be expanded.
Ideas will sure be welcomed although it may be the fall before the track starts being laid.
Your opinions please (I have a thick skin so you don't have to be kind :D)
Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• CBCNS benchwork.JPG
    CBCNS benchwork.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 185
Oh, if only I had that much space, money and time and if Atlas would start supplying Code 55 track again for N scale. Looks like a great starting point and some good ideas.

Willis,

Here's a coupl'a observations:

1) Are you planning on having an access hole in the middle of the upper blob? If not, reaching disabled trains on that far track against the wall could be a tad difficult.

2) Is there even a remote possibility that you'll be hosting guest operators? If so, that far-left aisle width may be a tad narrow. I learned this lesson the hard way on my previous layout: When I was building it, I assumed that I'd be a lone wolf with occasionally one guest operator at the most. But when I expanded my circle of local mrr friends, I found myself hosting op sessions with small groups of guys, and the narrowness of my aisles made itself painfully felt!

3) I'm guessing that your "combo" mine and power plant refers to a mine at one end, and the power plant at the opposite end?

Those are just my thoughts; YMMV. That benchwork does look like it has a lot of potential though. Good luck with this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Ken and thanks. I do have the same concerns about the layout as it is, and may have to change the bench-work around some what. Basically it is composed of 2ft by 4 ft modules bolted together so it is still possible to change the basic design, although I prefer to keep the loop to loop as I do like to sit back and watch trains run through scenic-ed areas. I'm also thinking of the harbor area being in the North west corner as that area will also be difficult to reach if the inside corner is filled in.

1) Are you planning on having an access hole in the middle of the upper blob?

I've given a lot of thought to this area and still don't have a solid answer. I was toying with the idea of a mountain with a not so obvious opening at the backside. However this may be more trouble than it's worth. The only other options open are a "lift out" or just leave an open space as most people do

2) Is there even a remote possibility that you'll be hosting guest operators?

No I'm pretty much a loner and there isn't anyone in this area who does model rail so hosting would only be a very remote possibility

3) I'm guessing that your "combo" mine and power plant refers to a mine at one end, and the power plant at the opposite end?

Yes that is what I want and I'm thinking of locating it in on the lower right area where the light blue is. That's going to be another tricky area so that might have to change as the track plan develops.

Cheers and thanks for your observations
Willis

Oh, if only I had that much space, money and time and if Atlas would start supplying Code 55 track again for N scale. Looks like a great starting point and some good ideas.

Hi Bob
LOL :D if you knew my situation and life style you'd find your post kind of humorous. I could have more space but I believe I've torn down my last wall it's a lot of work for an old codger. Money? What's that? :D it's rare when I have any left over after paying taxes and bills. For many years past I've been going to model rail shows and buying what others didn't want until now I have enough track-age, Turnouts switches (code 100) etc to build a biggie. The best advice I could give you "If you want it bad enough, go for it in the best way you can the challenge is half of the fun.
Best of luck in whatever you do.

Cheers
Willis

Hey Willis looking forward to watching the build!
Sorry I don't have a lot of ideas just now, my head is reeling from trying to plan my new pike.
(just starting the staging yard now)

I assume you'll have the causeway there somewhere? Back when I was going to the paper mill regularly, I got some pictures of a big dimensional load going to the gas separation plant, they barely fit through the bridge, and crawled the whole way.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Hey Willis looking forward to watching the build!
Sorry I don't have a lot of ideas just now, my head is reeling from trying to plan my new pike.
Hi Rico, I have some ideas and when I get them on a drawing I'm sure you'll be able to help :D

I assume you'll have the causeway there somewhere? Back when I was going to the paper mill regularly, I got some pictures of a big dimensional load going to the gas separation plant, they barely fit through the bridge, and crawled the whole way.

Hi Conductor, yep causeways well I'm considering that one plus one on the Oxford (was a div now just a spur left) and the Canso but I can't have both and I'm not sure which I'll do. There's also the possibility of changing the timeline so that all this happened in the 60/70's, a bit of fiction so I'll do what I think is best. I haven't finished the paneling yet, grand daughter and baby will be coming here for the got too busy since the weekend. Granddaughter will be arriving the first week of June and will be staying with me until after her mothers 2nd marriage so when that's over hopefully I'll be able to get into it for real. I have some ideas to put on paper and from there on it should be a go.
Thank's for the interest guys

Willis

Hi Willis,
>>Good to see your plan again.

Hi Ken and thanks. I do have the same concerns about the layout as it is, and may have to change the bench-work around some what. Basically it is composed of 2ft by 4 ft modules bolted together so it is still possible to change the basic design, although I prefer to keep the loop to loop as I do like to sit back and watch trains run through scenic-ed areas. I'm also thinking of the harbor area being in the North west corner as that area will also be difficult to reach if the inside corner is filled in.

I've given a lot of thought to this area and still don't have a solid answer. I was toying with the idea of a mountain with a not so obvious opening at the backside. However this may be more trouble than it's worth. The only other options open are a "lift out" or just leave an open space as most people do

>>Having an access hatch of one type or another is a good idea. If your ceiling is high enough, how about having the top area of the mountain, maybe 2' x 2' be a, 'hoist up' with an over head rope and hook arrangement that could be pulled up to the ceiling when not needed and the mountain top could have a camouflage I/Loop secured in it?

The other way would be to make the mountain top so it could be pushed up and turned on it side and dropped down through the opening and rest on a shelf under the bench work somehere.

Another idea, but fairly more costly, might be a topside creeper like Micro-Mark or others sell? < <

No I'm pretty much a loner and there isn't anyone in this area who does model rail so hosting would only be a very remote possibility

Yes that is what I want and I'm thinking of locating it in on the lower right area where the light blue is. That's going to be another tricky area so that might have to change as the track plan develops.

>>Might I suggest that you just tacking things in place temporarily till you see what fits in best as well as making sure your loco's operate ok over rails and areas as well as operating for a bit to know if things are to your liking or not. Also I'm a big believer in making use of curved switches as they can really very often facilitate fitting in more than you can with just straight switches if you get into a bind. I'll have to admit that with my tighter radius's and constrained space I'm making considerable use of them but then again my RR theme is more of a very rural back-woods type of operation where your a lot more modern with longer Loco's and cars but I'm sure that much broader curved switches must be available.

Anyway, it a good start Willis, and I know it helps to pique your interest! < <

Cheers and thanks for your observations
Willis

Take care Bud,

David

Back