New box car project

I started strach building the doors for my new box car today. I think they are coming along nicely.

I have prototype photo's to work with. The prototype had a 12'-6" X 10'-9" youngstown door. The model that was avaiable had a plug door so i had to remove it and stracth build a door to match. Here are some pics of what I got done today.
Next step is to add new coupler pockets, long shank coupler's, wire grab's, Palano's cut lever's and misc detail part's. I will change out the wheelset's and add extra weight before i test run it.
I have 2 to build so I won't do any painting until both are done.

Last edited by a moderator:
The photo make it look like the door is corrugated. Is it actually and, if so, what are your plans to add the corrugations?

Wow... looks like you won't have to make up reporting marks or anything - that car is faded to nothing.

Yes the door is coragated i'm going to use .030 half round rod.

I have a decal set from Micro Scale and yes i will be putting all of the reporting markes on. I'm not going to fade the color that bad i have another set of pics that so the car closer to new condition and going to take the paint some where in the middel.

I never would have thought of using half-rounds for the corrugations. Great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product too.

Update

I spent a couple of hours on the door and detailing the rest of the box car today.
I installed .040 half round to the door to get the look of coragated pannels.
I was going to use .030 half round but the local hobby shop did not have it in stock. The next one I will order the .030 half round I think the over all look will be better with it.
I have installed the new steps, coupler platfrom, couplers, cut lever's and Kadee roller bearing trucks.

Please let me what you think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the parts to fix my airbrush so there might be a finished project this weekend.

Thank You for all the nice comments.

Mac, I don't know, never having seen the car in real life, but the corrugation size looks right on the money to me. I don't think the smaller half rounds will improve the look and I think it may even make the corrugations too small. Since the door is such a defining piece of that boxcar, I think having it stand out a little helps the overall look.

Here is a pic of the box car. I don't have the blow up of the door on this computer it is on the one in the shop.
In the blow up there is more spacing between the ridges.
Thank you for your input I will think it over. I have one more to build for the same road and type of car.

No kidding. Fantastic detail on that car. If the finished product has the red heart with "LOVE" in the middle like it does in the image you're working off of I'll be severely impressed at your attention to detail. But for the sake of having the original without any graffiti, I could understand why you wouldn't. Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

I just noticed that the pic did not post I will try again.

I have the decal set that match's the prototype with the heart. The slogan was for a Longview, Portland & Northern box car.
"We Love Oregon & the Great Northwest"

I saw the decal set and started doing some research and found some pics online and decieded to build the model. I have a habit of modeling what I like even if it don't fit my layout era. I will then run it on a differant layout(club or friends) or put it in the dislay case.

There are more to come I have bought 20 differant decal sets that are out of production and will be building 2 of each. One will be as if it just rolled out of the paint shop and the other will be weathered to some degree. Both will have the same road number and level of detail.

Thank You for all the postive feadback I will keep everyone up to date.

Don't know how I missed this thread.... Must not have been paying attention.

Mac that is great work! I can't wait to see the completely finished car.

I painted the car this weekend and not happy the way it looks in pics. It looks good in person but the in pics looks bad. There is a lot of orange peel in the pics that dont show to the naked eye. I might strip the car and start over what do you think.

I striped the car and have started over.

I personaly did not like the paint job and the decals were not setting right. The paint looked orange peel so I'm going to do some testing of the air brush. I think my decal setting solution was bad so I bought new.

Back