Need more power

csxfan

Hi, I definitely need more power to the track as the layout is pretty big, the problem is that I use Bachmann Dynamis, you know that plug and play thing. So how can I do it ? What exactly do I need to add feeders, where, how ? Thank you for any tips.

Hi CSXfan,
When you say the layout is pretty big, give us an idea of how many feet of main line track you have and sidings so we get a better idea of what your referring too.

I think Jeffrey Wimberly uses the Bachman control set-up and would probably be very knowledge about it and probably be the best one to ask.

I believe Bachmann sells a booster for the Dynamis, but I am not certain.

Your dynamis should power a good sized layout, provided you use a 14-12 gauge wire bus under the layout, and provided you keep the feeders to the rails short, say under 16". Also, you should place a pair of those feeders, 20-22 gauge, every 6-8' of track.

If your bus has to be longer than 30', or any feeders longer than 3', you will have some voltage loss that could affect your locos. Once you run 12 gauge wire longer than about 30', you get reductions approaching half a volt.

Back