Need Help with a Rivarossi GG1 Part

Vyceroy

SSSSSSSSSSSSSteam
I have a Rivarossi GG1 i have been working on and i am down to just one thing left .. I am in need of a front pair of geared driver wheels .. i have checked around and no luck so far..

Oh, my, that's going to be a tough one. Remember that many of the GG-1's were imported by AHM so make sure you are are searching under the AHM name as well. Your best source is going to be e-bay, either for the truck itself or a junker that has the trucks intact.

yeah checked with the 2 guys that have the rivarossi parts but nothing so far ..this one is an ahm but has the rivarossi name on bottom .. a really smooth quiet runner .. I guess patience is the big thing here sooner or later something will show up

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch... that's a common "bad part" I've had several break... fortunately I have a junker to cannibalize...

I have been buying other parts and junkers or ones that supposedly dont work .. Berkshires and 0-8-0 yard engines and i have so far gotten all running .. so much for parts engines lol ..i dont have the heart to keep one to canabalize if its possible i fix it..

I found the part from a guy on ebay .. price was decent .. Now i can get my GG1 running..

Recieved my part today and installed it and added a little grease to the gears .. she runs smooth and quiet .. below are a few pics ..

I can forward the guys info through a Private message if anyone is looking for Rivarossi parts .. Nice guy to deal with also ..

How did you get the pilot to be closer to the body? Did it come that way? I have an IHC Premier (Mehano) GG1 and it runs great, has two motors that draw very little current (I was able to wire both motors into one decoder with no problems) but the pilot sits too low (If the shell sat any lower, it would cover the drivers).

The GG1 you have is also the IHC GG1 (IHC and AHM are both companies owned by the same guy. After AHM went under, the guy stated IHC). IHC had a premier line in which the locos had can motors with flywheels and smooth drives. The regular IHC GG1 is the Rivarossi one, and the IHC Premier version was manufactured by Mehano.

I also replaced the pilot trucks with Reboxx wheels (36", one side insulated) as the pizza cutters kept hopping up on frogs and derailing (only at high speeds though). The drivers have large-ish flanges, but they aren't too bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is definitely a Rivarossi .. Pic Below .. everything on my GG-1 is as Rivarossi designed it .. I have not modified her yet ..

Rivarossi made two versions of the GG-1, both sold under the AHM name. The one shown was made in Italy and has the pilot attached to the front of the frame, with the lead trucks swiveling behind the fixed pilot. It is at the correct height. The second version was labeled Rivarossi but was made in what was then Yugoslavia by the company that would later become Mehano. The pilot was attached the front of the truck frame and swiveled with the truck, thus making the pilot look too low in relation to the body. The IHC GG-1 is based on the Yugoslavian (now Slovenian) model.

i did not know all that .. thanks .. its good to know when looking for engines .. did Rivarossi actually make the twin motor version or was it also Mehano ??

Back