Need help to plan layout

Habbyguy

So I have the bench built and now I need to plan the track work. But I have no idea how to do it. Below is a pic of what area I have to work with. The bench is built around the walls. And the area in the middle is where you wall around in and shows what structures I have. I will be using flex track and whatever turnouts my hobby shop has. I may in the future add a second level.

Track.jpg

And a pic of my rolling stock.
IMG_0716.jpg

well first thing I see is that you have 2 mainlines that take up alot of space... why not live with one main line and 2 passing sidings? this way you can still run 2 trains and use the space for spur tracks to industrys?

the round house will take up all of the space regardless of what end you place it in. Might want to reconsider that?

you will have plenty of aeras to add a small industry if its a singe track mainline...

I will do some changing tomorrow when I am not tired. I have some ideas, but not sure what I am doing. LOL
I want this to work and look good.

PS, this is my childhood dream. Not saying I have grown up yet.

What minimum radius curves you have? 24" ??

I would suggest to make room on the top for some yard tracks, maybe 3 or so.

Also, you could get rid of the big sweeping curve on the right, and have room for two industry spurs.

I'm a big fan of single track mains for operations, DC or DCC.
If you kept the double track all around the walls then went with single track from your switches to the loop on the botom, you'd have a great start.
As for the turntable, unless you plan on running steamers and are attatched to it I'd leave it out.
That area down by the door will make a great little industrial area.

Taking some of what you all have said, here is what I have done so far. Please don't hold back on your opinionated comments.

Track2.jpg

Taking some of what you all have said, here is what I have done so far. Please don't hold back on your opinionated comments.

Track2.jpg

A definite improvement... now the door doesn't hit the church and the school. ;)

Seriously, single main is way better. I rate the train going round as secondary to all the other interesting fun yard and industry operations.:)

Yes, much better now. I like the yard now, you can extend those stub ended yard tracks all the way to the left.

Lookin' good!
Try drawing one up with double track along the back wall from each of the loops.
It could be run as double track main or a great siding for a meet and still have single track main elsewhere.
If you want a yard I think I know a way to sneak one in...
Your room is 15' by 10', correct?

Not liking the road in the middle there. Just make all those yard tracks. The way you have it now, can make them all double ended.

I just had couple questions.
1. Would it be possible to add a second level with this layout?
2. I would like some elevation somewhere. Maybe track over track. Where would be a good place for that?
3. If I wanted to do some mountains, would I have to pull the track forward?

Looks very good, now get to laying track!!

Not sure about second level, and adding elevations. But as far as the mountains, what would really be cool is a mountain tunnel around the lake!

I vote for backtracking to the second plan (with the stub ended yard) with a few mods to the yard.

Secondly, can you reach the switch at about the 7 foot mark on the bottom of the plan if it's up against a wall? You will have to maintain it now and possibly even replace it one day...

I vote for backtracking to the second plan (with the stub ended yard) with a few mods to the yard.

Secondly, can you reach the switch at about the 7 foot mark on the bottom of the plan if it's up against a wall? You will have to maintain it now and possibly even replace it one day...

Thanks for the heads up on the switch.

I am still learning and appreciate all the help everyone.

Did some tuning down. There was just too much track which I read is not always good. Plus gives me some room to do more buildings, mountains or other scenic stuff.

I am hoping this is the one. I like it the best so far.
Tracknew.jpg

Back