Need help painting factory roof

Dameon

I suppose this could fit in Structures as well as Painting, but had to choose one so...

I'm using the Walthers Cornerstone Modular kits to build an N scale textile mill. I'm using the roof bits that come with the roof kit, but I am at a loss as to how to paint it. I've tried looking at various maps online and zooming in, but often the zoom just doesn't get close enough. The era I am going for is about mid 1930s to mid 1940s.

In that era most roofs were tar paper with a tar coating over it so a rough finish with a grimmy black would work unless it's a sloped roof and in most cases they either used actual shingles or sometimes corrugated metal.

I'm not familiar with that kit but if it has a flat roof then a tar and gravel coating would be correct. There was a very good article in the Feb 2012 Model Railroader on a scratch built structure and how he simulated the tar and gravel on the roof. One trick I use is to add details like chimneys and various types of vents and vent pipes. They tend to be more of a focal point and a simple painted roof surface becomes less noticeable.

Here's an idea for you.

100_2530.jpg

Back