Need help detailing Athearn RTR GP units

jbovinette

Florida Railroads
Hello all,

I have quite a few Athearn RTR CSX GP38-2's and GP40-2's that I want to detail. I have never really detailed anything before and I really don't know what to get. But I am really wating to detail the pilots.

Here is a couple reference pictures that I found that I was going to use to detail the pilots.

6137CSX-yn3.jpg

6210CSX-yn3.jpg

Right now I have the Kato MU Hoses to use. I am also looking at purchasing the Bowser GP38-2 and GP40-2 Detail Kits: http://bowser-trains.com/hoother/calscale/190-524.htm I'm not going to use those MU Hoses. I planing on purchasing these coupler lift bar brackets: http://www.gohobbies.com/item229-2213.html

I think the details from Detail West are nice looking and the price is right but if anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I have other Athearn Engins that have the details and I hate looking at the ones that don't have these details. It just makes them bland.

Thanks,
John Bovinette

The issue That I'm having is finding the other detail parts like the other hoses with the receptacles and the ditch lights.

Athearn GP38-2s and GP40-2s is the Blue Box tooling with a hex drive. It is not DCC-ready, has the arc-welding headlight, has slots in the pilots, and the (incorrect) pilot mounted handrails.

IF you want a really detailed model... good luck.

Geeps!

diburning,

I'm not asking really to be 100% prototypical. I'm just asking for suggestions on details to add to the engine to make them look more prototypical than what they are now.

And thank you I am having luck!

Thanks,
John

Well, I'm kinda nitpicky, but not to the point of rivet counting.

The arc welding light can be replaced with LEDs, the pilots can be cut off and replaced, the fans can be drilled out and replaced too, although all that work may cost you more than simply buying an Atlas engine.

Pilot details would need coupler cut bars, MU hoses, ditch lights (if applicable), and the walkway needs a tread plate.

You'll likely have to go to Details West for a CSX style snowplow like that.

I've got two old Blue Box locomotives that I bought the Cal Scale kits for. I'm planning on using the MU hoses, the sunshades, adding grab irons, and a snowplow for the front pilots. I'm bringing it up to the recent releases of RTR style (the upgraded Blue Box). I'm not that good with windshield wipers or the smaller details like lift rings and the snow plow will cover up the uncoupling lever anyway. The snowplow will remove the unsightly notch in the shell that is characteristic of Blue Box locomotives.

One of the bigger, and I think easier, improvements can be adding prototypical details. Things like antennas, A/C units, proper horns, proper bells (and correct placement) draw my eye faster than some of the other smaller things. I am running the pre-ditch light era for my GPs.

Geeps!

I have all of 12 various models of GP units that have factory paint jobs and honestly I dont want to repaint all 12 of these. I'm looking for things that I can add without have to repaint all of these. I dont have a airbrush anyway!

I do plan on adding the plow, mu hoses, lift rings, coupler bars and brackets, and wipers. I plan on doing the a/c units, antennas, bells, and horns later. I'm wanting to get the pilots out of the way.

Now the tread.......how is this done? Do they have some that is precut for these engines? If so I would like to get some. Does it fit right over the plastic that is on there or do you have to remove the plastic and place the new tread in its place? I really don't want to do surgery on any of these if I can help it.

Thanks a lot,
John Bovinette

Geeps!

How would you glue the tread down without the glue seeping through it? Are these drop in designs with no cutting?

Thanks,
John Bovinette

John, like in this picture. you cut the stock steps out leaving a 1/16" lip on each side. Then glue the steps in place hanging on those 1/16" lips.

101_0435.jpg

if i were you, i would farmiliarize yourself with detailswests website:) lol.. they have a TON of detailed pics and parts numbers of whats used! for your geeps, heres a great link to help you start

http://www.detailswest.com/emd.htm

ive done quite a few sd units...havnts done a geep yet, but its all the same details mainly:)

Back