Neat little critter

skillman

I saw this today when I was picking up in Seattle. It was right outside the gate of the freight company where I was at.

P1030895_zps8e87d2bd.jpg

P1030896_zpsb95beae3.jpg

P1030898_zps4f197c92.jpg

P1030894_zps1dc667e2.jpg

I thought people might like it.

Steve

Very cool Steve!
I have one that's similar but in worse condition, I'll get a picture of it.
Now I know where the air tank should be, mine's loose on the deck.

These little Plymouths were such a common sight at so many factories and industrial hubs when I was a kid. This one is one of the larger ones of this design but it is still in such good, original shape. I'm uncertain what is the power now but most were gas engines originally. I know that many were changed over to small diesel engines because of the fuel and maintenance issues. The Diesel Spotters Guide has some good pictures and information on small gas/diesel industrial switchers.

Steve

This one is plugged in so I'm sure it is still in fairly regular use.

I like that!
Glad to see that you captured all four sides .. That helps a lot, and a must for detailing!

Here's another picture that I didn't post before. Might help the modelers.

P1030897_zps664f79d4.jpg

Steve

I recognize this little guy. I've never noticed the chain seen in this photo. Are these chain driven?

Greg Amer
The Industrial Lead
gregamer.com

My understanding is that most of the small Plymouth switchers were/are gas mechanical. Meaning that they had no electric generator or traction motors. I would assume that yes they were chain driven to each axle from a main sprocket. I understand that they were known for their use of a torque converter. Meaning that they were like an automatic transmission. You applied the throttle until things began to move and then backed off the throttle to maintain the desired speed. After the 50s, it is my understanding that this was the main design. At least on the 25 to 30 toners.

Steve

Back