NCE USB Interface and SB5 Booster

CMMR

Hello - my layout uses an NCE Power Cab connected to a UTP bus panel, which is in turn connected to an SB5 booster. I also have a separate programming track that has the original Power Cab power panel connected to it.

I purchase an NCE USB computer interface that I connected to the power panel on the programming track and computer using a USB A/B printer cable. I removed all the jumpers from the interface and can run JRMI to program decoders no problem.

What I would now like to do is connect the computer interface to my layout and program on the main with JRMI. I connected the power cab coil cord from the computer interface to the back of the UTP bus panel, and set up JRMI on the new computer with the appropriate settings for the SB5. When I fire up JRMI the "Operations Mode Programmer NCE is Online" message comes up in green at the bottom of the screen but then turns red and goes offline after about 10 seconds.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong, or how it is supposed to be connected to the SB5?

Thanks

Hi Gary --

I don't have the SB5, but looking to the future, I bookmarked the following page which seems like it might be helpful.

https://tonystrains.com/17030/

- Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff;

I did finally get it to work with the SB5 on the main, but it is very buggy. I can have it working, shut everything down, and when I fire it back up again there is no connection.

It seems a lot more stable with just the programming track. For now I have my old PC and the programming track set up under the layout. I do the majority of the programming adjustments there then place the locomotive on the main and fine tune any CV's there.

Gary,

Interesting, according to NCE the SB5 doesn't have what is needed to program on a "programming track". The logic used by NCE is that the SB5 is an Upgrade and as a result people would have a power cab that can program from a programming track.

Only reason I came across that was because I have the SB5 Smart Booster that can be used as a standalone (no programming track ability) or in conjunction with the powercab. I was trying to ascertain if the SB5 could be run as a standalone and not use what came with the powercab starter system other than the handset.

Tony - thanks for the reply. Here is a summary of what I have done so far:

Scenario 1: A separate programming track that is isolated from the layout. All the jumper pins are removed from the USB adapter and JMRI preferences are set to Power Cab. I have set this up and it works fine.

JMRI_PowerCab_2.jpg

Scenario 2: Programming on the main only using the SB5. Jumper pin 4 is installed and JMRI preferences are set to SB5. I have set this up and it works sometimes.

JMRI_PowerCab_3.jpg

Scenario 3: I haven't set this up yet and don't know if/how it would work. I would like to incorporate the separate programming track along with programming on the main with the SB5. Not sure what pins would have to be installed or what JMRI preferences would have to be set to. Any help would be appreciated.

JMRI_PowerCab_1.jpg

I got rid of the USB interface. I then set the whole system up using the serial port on the Power Pro. I still have the USB Interface but disconnected it from the panel behind my computer as seen in the 3rd photo. All most all of my decoders are now Loksound. I use the ESU programmer for those. I use JMRI for the rest. I would set everything up with the serial port and forget about the interface.

power_pro_1.jpg

power_pro_2.jpg

power_pro_3.jpg

George

Well last night I came home from work and set everything up all the hardware as per the diagram below. I left all the pins off of the USB interface and reinstalled JMRI, with the preferences set to Power Cab. I can now program on either the program track or the main. I have to say I like NCE products but their instructions leave a lot to be desired.

JMRI_PowerCab_1.jpg

@CMMR Surprised by this setup. Do you have power going to both the SB5 and the PowerCab? Seems like there would be a conflict somewhere since the flat cable handles power for the PowerCab. Just curious, since I want to try this but I don't want to let the magic smoke escape... :D

Back