Narrow Gauge rolling stock 3D printing.

Working on third generation 203 Bag Car. As usual additional info pours in. Color is some question, the Forest Green I have seems quite off color wise, as far as I can tell from current photos. Not yet sure when the red roofs came into vogue, or if they had always been that way.

The Jan-Feb issue of NG&SLG had a nice drawing of a C&S low side gondola, which I printed as well.

Tom

Fairly happy with what must be the fifth generation 203 bag car and the 218 parlor car. I may begin on dong the 222 parlor car and 207 bag car.

Wah hail…. Always (or close to it) additional info comes to light after a design printing session. I printed a quite nice WP&Y 207 baggage car, to finally get a photo of the car from the well known WP expert Rob Bell taken on the other side of the car. As it turns out, which I had suspicions, the doors and windows are not symmetrical on both sides.

I always look at these as iterations and progress steps.

White Pass Parlor Car # 218 current progress.

WP 218 car.jpg

This one came out needing almost no post production work. Not always the case! I use a free program called Design Spark Mechanical which I taught myself to use. Fairly intuitive! However the V 5 that I used has been superseded by V6, which I don't like as well. WP&YR had four cars of this general design, 218-222. Roof painted red, haven't got that far yet.

Cheers: Tom

I did forget to mention that there is virtual forrest of small supports that need to be removed but if done properly don't mar the surface.

Vince:

What you see there is a single piece. The floor is a separate piece and I usually add some external details as brake wheels and the side folding platform rails. For the C&S gondola I recently printed, it worked out better as separate sides and floor.

Very cool. I have been reading up on resin 3D printing lately - not sure I am actually ready to make the committment, but sure is fun to see what you're able to do with it.

Vince:

The best starting point is to find a design program you can figure out, to have friend who shares your interest id quite helpful. I started out with a ship modeler friend and we learned the program together and then explored the witches art of 3 D printing together. Good reinforcement and nudges to get over the inevitable clog zones.

Good luck! Tom

I have been traveling bit, one of the benefits is there are resources out there in the world. I wandered into a Hobby Store, one with an excellent set of paints and other supplies. The gent off to the long side was the train guy and he wondered what I was looking for... Narrow Gauge, only about two in a thousand ask for that, so no. A great selection of Kadee stuff, but no Narrow Gauge.

Did pickup a couple of bits of paint, tape, glue and some crushed coal. One shouldn't have to travel 2500 miles for a hobby shop visit, we used to have one, but things are so much more digital now.

Working on WP&Y pax cars, There are 4 of the 218 series and also doing the 216 plus having worked up the 203 and 207 bag cars.

Eventually I'll have to have some track to run them on as I do have 4 locos, two Blackstone, a MDC and a United brass.

Fairly happy with what must be the fifth generation 203 bag car and the 218 parlor car. I may begin on dong the 222 parlor car and 207 bag car.
I have been traveling bit, one of the benefits is there are resources out there in the world. I wandered into a Hobby Store, one with an excellent set of paints and other supplies. The gent off to the long side was the train guy and he wondered what I was looking for... Narrow Gauge, only about two in a thousand ask for that, so no. A great selection of Kadee stuff, but no Narrow Gauge. Did pickup a couple of bits of paint, tape, glue and some crushed coal. One shouldn't have to travel 2500 miles for a hobby shop visit, we used to have one, but things are so much more digital now. Working on WP&Y pax cars, There are 4 of the 218 series and also doing the 216 plus having worked up the 203 and 207 bag cars. Eventually I'll have to have some track to run them on as I do have 4 locos, two Blackstone, a MDC and a United brass.

Maybe I can post as the starlink makes an occasional pass. My regular net is quite unusable.

Spelchequr hasn't learned starlink yet... Great when the rare sat comes in view. Yea for living in the sub arctic!

Making good progress on the 218 series cars (5 cars) though the last one has smooth sheathing applied to the sides. . May run a steel flat bar on the floor for weight!

Tom
218 car.jpg

I have a question about the resin. Does the printer add the hardener as it's printing? Just wondering about all that resin the tub.

What happens is the resin is hardened by UV light in the 405 nm spectrum. The vat has a clear bottom and a lcd screen exposes each layer upon layer.

There is a big variety of resins available, finding one that matches your needs is an important factor. Some are water washable, some require washing in 90% alcohol to remove the uncured resin adhering to the surface. After washing the resin is cured using a UV light, curing and washing are essential to get good paint adhesion.

There are hundreds of small detail parts and accessories that can be easily printed to your needs.

Cheers: Tom

Back