N&W Abingdon Branch

Thanks for the compliments on the backdrops but I can't take any credit for that. They are photo backdrops that I ordered from Scenic Express.

The Alco locomotive is an Atlas model.

Just wonder why more than one half of the photos in the posts do not show??
Is there a setting that I need to change?

Just wonder why more than one half of the photos in the posts do not show??
Is there a setting that I need to change?

No, you're fine. My photos are hosted on a site called "Fotki" and right now they are moving their servers to another location and many of my photos are temporarily not available. They say that in another couple of weeks everything will be back to normal.

All of the photos are back up on Fotki now so if you'd like to see them all you can click on this link:

http://public.fotki.com/2002p51/misc/model-railroad/

Been a long time since I made any progress so recently I added a station stop on the way up the hill to Damascus.

_10203420543055886_410902373_n-vi.jpg

The station is patterned after the real one at Green Cove. I made it from scratch using Evergreen sheet.

_10203420551736103_957273587_n-vi.jpg

Attachments

• 1948071_10203420543055886_410902373_n.jpg
    1948071_10203420543055886_410902373_n.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 496
In the older days of layout building, the recommendation was for 1" plywood for O-scale and S-scale, and 3/4" for HO. N-scale wasn't around then but I bet the recommendation would be 1/2" for it. I remember reading this in a MR from the '40's-50's, on the construction of the Tuxedo Junction. This was an entire series over several years on building a large model railroad, by 2 guys and was being built in a barn IIRC. It was heavily influenced by the PRR & NYC around NY.

But since the mid 1960's the plywood thickness has become a moot point. As long as the plywood is supported properly, any thickness could be used for any scale. I had a friend that had a O-scale layout in a 3 car garage, and in places he used 1/4" plywood with a 1x2 glued on edge under it to supply support. We had no problem with it sagging or getting distorted. He had a set of All Nation F-3's in an A-B-A configuration, and with the extra weight installed into the bodies, and all units powered, this set weighted close to 30lbs! The plywood acted like the locos and 50 coal hoppers weren't even there.

Last week I got the fascia painted, makes a huge difference!

DSC_8734.jpg

DSC_8739.jpg

The truss bridge in the background is the beginning of the extension past Damascus.

Last edited by a moderator:
This Campbell Scale Models trestle will also be added in the line past Damascus. It only needs paint and it will be ready.

DSC_8750.jpg

Haven't added to this post in a while. I've made some scenery progress so I thought I'd do a quick update.

061403-vi.jpg

061404-vi.jpg

061402-vi.jpg

Whoa! Another awesome layout. I really have to love the cattle pen in the above shots...Makes for a really nice farm layout. So, keeping this in mind...Where/How did you get the cattle pen and farming truck? Is it a scratch-build or did you order a kit somewhere? If you ordered a kit, where did you get it? Was it inexpensive? Please let me know...Thanks!

Whoa! Another awesome layout. I really have to love the cattle pen in the above shots...Makes for a really nice farm layout. So, keeping this in mind...Where/How did you get the cattle pen and farming truck? Is it a scratch-build or did you order a kit somewhere? If you ordered a kit, where did you get it? Was it inexpensive? Please let me know...Thanks!

The cattle pen is made from a very inexpensive Model Power kit that I came across in my local hobby shop. I just rearranged the fencing to fit the space.

The truck is a converted military truck that I've had for so long now that I honestly can't remember where I got it. Sorry

Haven't done any updates in a while so I've got some catching up to do.

This is the first customer the train comes to in Danascus, the fictional Virginia Tobacco Co-Op. It's a Walther's building.

0726001-vi.jpg

0726002-vi.jpg

Next is "State Line Farm Supply", another Wather's building.

0726003-vi.jpg

0726004-vi.jpg

After passing the cattle pen that I posted earlier, the train crosses this bridge and makes the turn back to the final leg of the trip above the staging tracks.

0726005-vi.jpg

It's single track above the staging yard to the return loop.

0726006-vi.jpg

The return loop goes around the Walther's sawmill.

0726006a-vi.jpg

0726007-vi.jpg

This track does make the "Roanoke" side of the staging yard somewhat more inconvenient to use but it was a trade off I was willing to make to get the extra operational potential that it offers. I gained one more station stop and two more places to pick up and set out cars.

0726008-vi.jpg

Remember this shot from the beginning of this thread?

0202007-vi.jpg

Here's how that same area looks today.

0726010-vi.jpg

And one final shot just for the fun of it.

0726011-vi.jpg

I bought some photo backdrops from Scenic Express and here they are temporarily taped in place.

DSCN0025.jpgDSCN0026.jpgDSCN0027.jpg

I will paint some clouds above and behind them before gluing them in place permanently.

Back