N scale Apartment Layout

nissan300ztt

Hi everyone,
I recently moved to an apartment and I wanna get a layout started. Not the one I would normally mount on plywood, but a wall mounted continuous run. I need some Ideas of track planning software, and mounting solutions, other then lots and lots of shelving.
I have a lot of space to work with and want to do 2 trains running in opposite directions.

So please any input would be great.

Sounds like fun. A continuous-run shelf layout may be challenging, in that you have to turn the train around somewhere (or connect the ends). A full-loop four-wall layout will require a drawbridge or duck-under to get into. A turn-around on either end will require a rather larger bulb (a few inches bigger than your minimum radius). If you decide to do two decks, a helix will serve the same purpose.

How uptight is your landlord? I think most shelf layouts are bolted to the wall. If you don't want to/can't bolt it to the wall (and/or you'll be moving eventually and taking it with you), some simple wood girder benchwork pushed up against the wall should do the trick.

I know there are a lot of PC-compatible free track planning programs. If I remember right Atlas has a track design program using (of course) their standard track pieces. For my track planning, I just draw the table (using Google Sketchup, free), print several copies, and have at them with a pencil. I have yet to find a free Mac-compatible track plan program.

This is going to be a 6 wall layout. Its going to have a very long mainline run of 176"
followed by another 120" run you know minus the curves. I need graph paper but dont see to have any anywhere. I have an idea but I know when making 90degree corners which I have 8 of them its going to be a challenge. I normally run on a 4 x 8 sheet of ply wood but wanna try something different

You could use hollow-core doors laid on top of cheap bookcases (like IKEA). You can laminate foam and / or Homasote, etc onto the top of the doors. I don't think I'd lay cork roadbed directly onto the door - too noisy - but perhaps some folks have had ok luck doing that.

The nice thing about bookcases is that you have "instant" storage under the layout.

Actually, you could use 2-inch thick foam alone on bookcases if your spans aren't super long. I've found 2-in foam to be plenty strong enough on cheap shelf brackets (on 16-in centers) but I don't pile on tons of plaster scenery.

Last edited by a moderator:
but I know when making 90degree corners which I have 8 of them its going to be a challenge.

In N scale? Not much of a problem.

An old illustration I made for another thread somewhere - a foot wide shelf - 15 and 20" radius curves (which are not all that tight curves in N scale):

radius_N12_b.jpg

The center of the circle does not have to be on the shelf, eh ?

Smile,
Stein

JDE, Thank you. thats what I was looking for.
And stein, thats also what I was talking about. Now is it possible to do just like that with nscale?

Back