My Weathering Projects

Thanks again Guys, your comments keep me going on this project!

Today I thought I'd show more of a step by step progress...

This first photo is after I'd applied a much lighter coat of X-21 Flat Base - as you can see I apply in in vertical downstrokes...

IMG-20230412-WA0033.jpeg

This lighter coat made it a lot easier to scrub off the excess with my stiff brush resulting in the below...

PXL_20230412_211724220.jpg

After an initial thinned coat of Burnt Umber, the toning down starts taking effect...

PXL_20230413_093334916.jpg

This has now been topped up with another thin coat and is currently drying whilst I nip out to collect my latest locomotive!

In the background you can see the brush I use for removing excess dried X-21 Flat Base

Last edited:
I left the car for a day or so and returned to it last night. I decided I wasn't actually to happy with it, it looked a bit 'orange', so I took the IPA to it and rubbed off a lot of the previous weathering then went over it again with some MIG Ammo 0072 Dust...

PXL_20230416_090837608.jpg

PXL_20230416_090845087.jpg

I think this gives more of a sun-bleached effect than before, so I *think* that will be it for the base coat!!

Last edited:
Latest update (hope these aren't boring you good folks!)...

I've added detail painting to the grab irons, steps door handles, walkway in MIG Ammo 0192 Polished Steel, then MIG Ammo 0045 Gunmetal and drybrushed both along with MIG Ammo 0042 Old Rust along the door guides, roof panels and walkways. I also added some rust patch and streak detailing to the sides, but not much at all...
PXL_20230416_122525505.jpg

PXL_20230416_122533015.jpg

The photos show the car in natural light rather then LED lighting.

I've since added some weathering powders to the car and trucks, Im waiting on these settling before taking photos.

Latest update (hope these aren't boring you good folks!)...

I've added detail painting to the grab irons, steps door handles, walkway in MIG Ammo 0192 Polished Steel, then MIG Ammo 0045 Gunmetal and drybrushed both along with MIG Ammo 0042 Old Rust along the door guides, roof panels and walkways. I also added some rust patch and streak detailing to the sides, but not much at all...View attachment 166681

View attachment 166682

The photos show the car in natural light rather then LED lighting.

I've since added some weathering powders to the car and trucks, Im waiting on these settling before taking photos.
Looks good.

Went from boring, to beautiful and clean, to beat, dirty and one heck of a masterpiece to be proud of! Very well done!
Goodness, thank you for your extremely kind comments!

I've now completed the car...

PXL_20230418_112827428.jpg

PXL_20230418_112840395.jpg

I brushed over the roof/sides/ends and trucks with MIG Pigments (I've had them so long I don't know what the product codes are but they are Black, Grey and Brown), going from dark to light. Darker to from the top down, into grey, into brown from the trucks up.

I am very pleased with this, now have another 47 that are almost layout ready to go! However I'm putting the paints and powders down so I can concentrate on the structures for my layout.

Thanks again for all your wonderful comments etc, I'm truly grateful.

View attachment 166790
View attachment 166791

I brushed over the roof/sides/ends and trucks with MIG Pigments (I've had them so long I don't know what the product codes are but they are Black, Grey and Brown), going from dark to light. Darker to from the top down, into grey, into brown from the trucks up.

I am very pleased with this, now have another 47 that are almost layout ready to go! However I'm putting the paints and powders down so I can concentrate on the structures for my layout.

Well done, think Tom's 1&2 may have competition.

View attachment 166790
View attachment 166791

Totally outstanding!

View attachment 166790
View attachment 166791

Stunning weathering job.

I remember saying back in February I was going to take time out from weathering and work the layout. Now I am waiting for the house. Weathering is addictive.

Back