My Weathering Projects

I've renamed this thread from 'My First Boxcar Repaint' to 'My Weathering Projects'

I have a large amount of stock (well, large by UK standards) that I would like to have weathered by the time my layout goes to its first exhibition in November so I have been pressing on. I always weather my stock singly so I have variation between the cars and loco's. Here are some photo's of my progress at the moment...

PXL_20230620_142103923.jpg

The 60' car is a Walthers RTR product that I picked up for a ridiculously low amount (just over £3), it was brand new! I've lightly weathered to a dusty, slightly sun bleached finish, with the roof just starting to rust.

The 2 40' boxcars behind I have no idea what the parentage is. The Rock Island one carries '100 years' branding and has been heavily weathered to represent an old beat up and rusting car. The SOO Line car is again weathered to a dusty finish.

PXL_20230620_142113880.jpg

This SW9 is an old Athearn product that I've heavily weathered, complete with rust patches and scuffed paint on the grab irons and walkways. Just realised that I forgot to add ACI panels, I'll get that done! The Rock Island boxcar behind is an Athearn which has been heavily weathered. I have no idea the make of the Santa Fe Hi-Cube which has been faded and quite heavily weathered.

PXL_20230620_142117883.jpg

As with the SF car, this MW Hi-Cube is of an unknown parentage, this has been faded and mildly weathered and the roof is my first attempt at 'hairspray' rusting, quite pleased with it! The UP and lighter RI cars were both featured on this thread previously

PXL_20230620_142128581.jpg

The MD&W boxcar has also been featured on the thread before. The ADM hopper is my first attempt at weathering one of these vehicles, I'm still deciding if I like it or not!

I hope you like these photo's, I'm always open to any hints or tips that can improve my results, so please don't hold back!

Back