My Signal & Traffic Control Center

RexHea

RAIL BENDER
Many have inquired about functional signals and being able to control traffic throughout the layout. I have included photos of my near finished control center w/electronics and a picture of my computer screen with the layout displayed and a few of the options the software provides.

Some may scarf at the idea of having this ability, but the realism it provides is astounding, not to mention the smooth traffic flow you can have when many operators are running. I have had 14 operators with trains and manifest running at one time and not a single bottleneck or pasture meet was encountered.

Always keep in mind that this is a hobby within the hobby of model railroading; it requires as much time and careful planning as any other part. What you see in these included photos required most of last year to complete. I hope you will find this thread informative and I will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. I am far from being an expert and still very much a learner, but I may have some info that can help.

The brains behind it all is Railroad and Company's "Traincontroller" Software http://www.freiwald.com/pages/index.html as displayed on my computer screen.
The software is huge in its capabilities. Here are a few examples:
1. complete computer control, semi-computer control, partial computer control, or full manual over the traffic flow on the layout, i.e. operators can still control their own train by the throttle or you can let the computer do it.
2. user developed routes and schedules,
3. fully functional and programmable signal light control for up to 4 aspect
4. automated trains complete with timed stops with exact stopping points
5. speed limits for sections
RR&co. is first class software and even though it can do most anything, it is very user friendly with the programming all being done with drop down menus and the layout diagrams easily built with click or drag and drop methods.

All of the electronics are from Digitrax including: PM42 for power districts, BDL168 block detector boards, SE8 Signal driver board. In the photo of the Control Center and left to right:
PM42.........4 power districts.......1 total
BDL168.......16 block detection per unit.....3 total
SE8 (upper right center.......32 head signal driver board.....1 total
Lenz stationary Decoder lower center.....6 turnout control each..........1 shown of 8 total
Power supplies, program booster, DCS 200 Digitrax Command module.

Signal and Traffic Control Center
All the electronics are mounted on a sliding drawer under the benchwork.

Dcp_2377.jpg

Railroad and Company Software shown on computer screen.
My layout is displayed as simple schematic and only shows the mainlines, but soon will be CTC form. Note the red occupied blocks being displayed (you can't see it, but also the train name in the block). The lower left corner shows a selected route and schedule and the right lower shows list of all locos/trains that can be selected for a particular schedule/route. Also, note a few optional throttle controls and adj fast clock.

RR_Co_Traincontroller.jpg

Same computer screen showing all the presently installed mainline blocks of the layout.

RR_Co_blocks.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent wiring job Rex!
I also run mine in the same fasion, although your bundling is much neater!

That is very impressive looking. Since I've not wired a layout since I was a child and it was a loop I gotta say I'm lost when I look at that. I just got my first DCC system and I'm starting to learn more about the whole DCC layout wiring and what's involved. From what I'm seeing here I'm going to need to go back to school just to be able to wire a layout when I get room for one myself.

Dave

thanks Rex. this is interesting to see

neat wiring. from my days of organizing network wiring closets i remember that if it is not neat it will have to be redone at some point. i think you good on that + i see that you planned for further expansion. and i love the fact it slides out.

i have the Traincontroller software trial installed . for now i'm playing around with that trying to understand the workflow . which version did you get? did you go over bronze, if so what capabilities were you missing in it?

Jon/Rico: Thank you, but I have to admit that the wiring under the layout is not so neat (not neat at all,yuk!) but what you don't see...:D Heck, there was no way to afford the parts for wiring under there in a professional way, but I can find and trace the wiring if needed and cable ties worked well ;).

Dave: don't let all this overwhelm you for installing DCC; just hook two wires to the track and let'r rip. Functional signals and traffic control is very much an option that some of us weirdo's:D choose and is not in any way necessary for having an excellent running layout.

Anton: Thank you and yes, I will have additions coming along in the near future. Years ago and when I was in the Air Force, we had to upgrade and rewire an entire communications network for a major communications relay center. I volunteered to join the team involved and picked up several new skills in Inside Plant wiring. I had to wire in the equipment to new cabling at one end, tie in to IDF's and then make the jumpers on the mainframe. This including butting up to 200 pair cable, fanning it into the "Christmas tree" blocks, and termination. I even learned how to lace cable with lacing cord...(Oh, how many fingers hurt from the cuts! :D ) Anyhow, all this stuck with me and helped me several times in my career. This wiring job is by far, not the best, but I don't have nor can afford all the neat wiring aids that someone else used to buy. The most important thing is I can easily locate connections that may need changed or for troubleshooting.

I had a previous version of TrainController and when the upgrades came about, I went with the Gold version mostly because they had a good discount for upgrades. A Silver would probably done the job for now and for the future. I don't think that you should get the Bronze and still satisfy your future requirements. With the Silver you not only have the benefit of having almost all of the Gold's features, but it can also be upgraded to Gold. There are many differences and there is a page on the website to explain all of them. There are just too many for me to write on here. Hope you don't mind.

If you are really serious about going this direction, go ahead and print out the manual or put it on CD and take it to Office Depot for printouts. Study the manual hard; understand the basics (only); take a hard look at your layout and see what changes might be needed for improving your operations with Traincontroller. I made dozens of changes including: adding passing sidings, rerouting mainlines, adding more industrial sidings, relocating industries to improve continuity for shipments, etc. (Studying the manual and looking at my layout diagram, many weaknesses that I hadn't seen became obvious.)

Another big help for you at this point is the Forum. Look on the website's front page and click on it. It is an excellent source of info for most anything you want to do. You can do a search or just inquire. It doesn't matter if you have the software or not; ask your question as such and you will get a good reply.
BTW: the company is German and if you ever need, you can even call an talk with the developer or one of his staff. He is a very nice man and is fluent in English. Also, the procedure for purchase is simple: you download the software you want and they send you a flashcard that you plug into your USB port (takes about 1 week to receive). It has a software key on it that allows full operations. The card must be plugged in every time you operate the software.

Don't know if you saw my thread on saving money making your own signals, but it is in this same section. Maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Any further questions...just let me know. I will be here or send me a PM ;):)

I had a previous version of TrainController and when the upgrades came about, I went with the Gold version mostly because they had a good discount for upgrades. A Silver would probably done the job for now and for the future.
There are many differences and there is a page on the website to explain all of them. There are just too many for me to write on here. Hope you don't mind.
actually you did answer -> good discount on upgrade.
i think my question is mostly due to the fact i don't have the complete game plan yet.

If you are really serious about going this direction, go ahead and print out the manual or put it on CD and take it to Office Depot for printouts. Study the manual hard; understand the basics (only); take a hard look at your layout and see what changes might be needed for improving your operations with Traincontroller. I made dozens of changes including: adding passing sidings, rerouting mainlines, adding more industrial sidings, relocating industries to improve continuity for shipments, etc. (Studying the manual and looking at my layout diagram, many weaknesses that I hadn't seen became obvious.)
i think i am - it seems the logical next step. as for manual , it is a sound advice. just taking a look around the software was enough to realize that "just wing it" approach is not going to work here. as far as modifications, i don't think i have enough willpower to do any at this point. perhaps the next one i design going to address the issues uncovered, but for now i will be working around the inefficiencies.

Anton: Sure, I understand. Take your time and plan it out carefully and always think long-term. For me, that is half the fun of it. Concerning making layout changes: I never considered going this route until well into my layout work. WOW, did I ever have some major changes to make...but they have all made things a lot better. I guess what I am saying "better sooner than later". :)

Rex,

<Drool>...Man, that looks like quite an improvement over what you had when I was there last time. I can't wait to get back up there again. As you said, you have about the smoothest running large layout I've ever seen when a bunch of operators (and a couple of doofuses like me) get together. :) I remember operating nights at our club in LA, which had a layout not a lot larger than yours but, of course, it was all DC with block control, since this was back in the age when reptiles ruled the earth. Not only did we have plenty of cornfield meets and switch runthroughs, we were lucky to make it through the evening without a fistfight breaking out. :eek:

That's a wonderful setup, very well organized, and on a drawer for easy access. You did a lot of thinking before putting it together.

Thanks for posting it here. I'm not happy with my setup, and you give me some inspiration.

since it is running slow today and several people here seemed interested in computerized layout control i will give this thread another bump.

Hi Anton! Fancy meeting you here :rolleyes::D. I had forgot about this thread until you mentioned I was to "BLAME" for you getting into this stuff in the other thread. LOL:D

Just looking at the pics at the start of this post, and knowing what I do already, there is WELL over a grand in electronics there alone. Not to mention going to the Traincontroller website, their software is 594.00 for the gold??????? It appears that is what is being used? Is this correct?

Just looking at the pics at the start of this post, and knowing what I do already, there is WELL over a grand in electronics there alone. Not to mention going to the Traincontroller website, their software is 594.00 for the gold??????? It appears that is what is being used? Is this correct?

It sure seems so! :eek:

Then there's the signals themselves and who knows what else!.......

Does anyone have experience with both RR&Co & JMRI? As noted elsewhere, I'm a little out of touch with the latest capabilities in JMRI, but *suspect* it can do most, if not all, of what RR&Co can do - I'm not trying to "knock" the commercial product, but at least JMRI is free, open source S/W. Having said that, in the overall scheme of this "hobby within a hobby", a few hundred bucks for S/W may be money well spent.......

Cheers,
Ian

i tried both, although i eliminated TC prety soon. TC is sertainly more "civilized" so to say - not as intimidating, has refined polished UI and in general has frendlier workflow. but functionality wise i can not think about a feature TC can do that can not be done in JMRI.

i tried both, although i eliminated TC prety soon. TC is sertainly more "civilized" so to say - not as intimidating, has refined polished UI and in general has frendlier workflow. but functionality wise i can not think about a feature TC can do that can not be done in JMRI.

Thanks for that - My understanding also.

The other thing about JMRI is the Yahoo user group - Even if you come up with a question that's not been asked before (unlikely!), you'll get answers - Often within minutes of posting - It's a super active group.

Again, I dunno how RR&Co compares support wise, but I bet it can't be any better than JMRI's!

One "issue" with JMRI remains the over abundance of documentation! Some of it now out of date but still there - It's easy to get buried in too much info! - But even that's gotta be better than not enough!

Cheers,
Ian

First, let me say again that there is nothing wrong with JMRI and what it can do. Its capabilities are only limited to what the user's abilities allow and the time they have to set it up. My choice for Traincontroller was based on its User Interface with all the possible programming options available in menu form.

Yes RR&Co Traincontroller Gold is expensive and that is the version I have, but the Silver and basic package can probably take care of most all home layout needs. The only reason I have the Gold was taking advantage of an upgrade price from the original and when the Gold and Silver were offered to the public. Otherwise, I would not have been able to cough up that much money.

There is always a good reason for high-level software being high priced. It this case, years of development to upgrade the tried and proven older version to one that offered hundreds of new options for programming, versatility, and an improved interface. Most all of the ideas for this development came from the users. Also, keep in mind that it is designed to work well with a small 4x8 layout, garage/club, or Gargantua sized museum layouts. It is unlikely that me or any other home user will ever make a dent in its capabilities.

While you look at the photos, keep in mind that the electronics are for a 24x40' layout. Considering signals and their cost: all but a couple of mine, I handmade at 1/4 the cost of factory made. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13292

RR&Co has excellent support and also has a forum filled with experts with years experience in the programming and operation of Traincontroller. The response is not usually immediate, as there are not nearly as many involved with TC as with JMRI. Still, you will get help within a day, if not sooner. The forum is also closely monitored by the owner and developer,Juergen Freiwald and his staff. If you have a question or concern that is not easily answered by the forum members, a quick email to Juergen will get you an answer (from him) within hours.

I certainly do not want to give the impression that TC is better than JMRI. It is "what fits" that counts. They both can be programmed to handle the work, from simple to complex, and a choice should be based on budget, ability to develop your program with the functions you desire, or having a ready to use User Interface with all the programming options in drop-down menus...but you pay for this. :eek::D

I look forward to having more discussions on software, auto traffic control, and auto signals. Wish we had a specific topic for this.:)

That's a professional looking wiring job Rex.

mine will never look like that. That's a promise. :)

Back