My newest additions

Ronzzr11

I spent the last two weeks on holiday in Pennsylvania,while I was there, I had planned on buying more locomotives, rolling stock, and Kadee couplers for my railroad at home in England.
I wanted at lest one Dash 9 in Norfolk Southern colours, but when I went into Genes Trains,model store, just outside Altoona, he only had Athearn undecorated AC4400,s. However, they were on sale for just $40 each, so I bought three, plus a couple of Microscale decal sheets for Norfolk Southern locos.
I know that there are a few details that are different between Dash 9,s and AC4400,s but I can live with those. I,ve already blanked off the original nose mounted headlights, and redrilled fresh holes between the number boards.My next job is to spray all three black, so I can put the decals on.
Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, I,ve painted all the wheels rust red, also painted the bare metal plates of the trucks, black so they don,t show through the truck side frames.The step edges were done with Tamiya yellow. The decals I,ve put on so far, were applied over one thin coat of matt black, which was then sprayed with satin varnish. As usual Microscale Micro Sol did its magic in making the decals snuggle down into the panel lines.I,ve still got to put on, all the small stencils,plus the reflective white dashes around the bodyshell, plenty of work in store !!

Thanks for all the positive comments,its coming and reading up on this forum thats helped me a lot to make these three locos better than I had expected. I,ve still got a lot of work to do as there are so many small decals that need to be put on. Sites like Railpictures.net, and nslocos.com have helped a great deal too.
Ron

Ron, I think some modern locomotives are actually held together by all the small signs and placards. :) It's like buying a step ladder now - there are so many safety warnings, it's hard to tell what kind of material was actually used to make the ladder. All those little decals are real test of patience and skill but they do make the model look a lot better if you take your time. You've done a nice job so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job Ron! Those look great! For your reference list though, have you checked rrpicturearchives.com ? When it comes to a certain loco I have to have pics of, there is no substitute! Hope that helps! Good luck with your build too!

-Rich

Thanks for the tip Rich, I,d not thought of that site, and it did help.
I,ve spent another hour or so, this evening, putting on the signs and warning placards,and its making me cross-eyed !!. The locos do look better with them on, the only problem I have, is that they are AC4400,s rather than Dash 9,s so some of the panels are different,so I,ve had to use a little artistic license,but the overall effect works for me.
Ron

Progress so far, this evening, I finished putting on, the last of the reflective dashes around the edge of the bodyshells.Tomorrow night, I,ll spray them all with satin varnish to seal all the decals.Once thats dried, then all that needs doing will be the glazing,and the handrails.
Ron

solid work there...........The NS has a certain look about them that makes them look rather mean. For what you paid and what you have in them. I would say well done.

Well after a little more work, the three Dash 9,s are finally finished,all glazed, and handrails fitted and painted. All I need now,are the snowplows I,ve ordered from a model store here in England, but as they are on back-order it may be some time before I get them.
The total cost was quite reasonable, $40 for each loco,two sets of Microscale decals for $6.50 each, plus kadee couplers to replace the plastic knuckle couplers that were supplied with the locos.

I could,nt get any snow plows over here in England, so on my trip to Pennsylvania last year,I ordered several plows from Dicks train store. After a quick paint job,they were the finishing touch to the noses of my locos.
One problem with one of the locos, was that one of the wheel sets was either out of round, or off centre, so the loco tended to rock as it was moving. I got a set of Athearn wheels and fitted them this evening, a quick and easy swap, and my loco no longer does the pimp roll as it hauls freight !!
Ron

Back