my new layout design, need your opinion

GOtransitfan

Hi all!
im new here, so first of all, hello everyone!

Been playing around planning my new layout, im model in HO scale southern ontario railroad (to be more accurate, the toronto area), mostly CN, CP, GO Transit, VIA and Amtrak.

At first i wanted to model part of the toronto union station coridor, but dropped that plan in order to get more operational layout, room size is about 10.5 over 13 feet.

tell me what you think about this plan. I'd like to hear any suggestions that you have

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the funny pages! :D
Looks like you'd be backing into the station?
Not sure if there is a helix in there or not.
Is there any way you could redo the reverse loop and move the turnouts to the front of the layout?
I had a similar layout designed once where the switches were all in line with the front of the layout, both inbound and out. Makes it easier to work on, operate, and detect where the trains are.
I'm starting to get into passenger service, might have to add a siding or two for op's.

Hi Rico,
the passenger terminal is a deadhead station, one line in and out.
it designed for a go transit train, which consist a locomotive on one side and a cab car on the other end. i wanted a station for a long train :). it should support a 7 cars train.
yes, ther is a double track helix, the inner rail goes up to the station. and the outer helix going down, to the hidden staging yard.

You have a couple of 3-foot reaches in there. Might want to reduce those or put some sort of access hatch in the middle of the loops if this will be up against the walls.

Staging is good. Hidden staging is either great or horrible, depending on your viewpoint and prior experiences.

Helices can work very well but I am personally opposed to them if they are an avoidable complication. I.e. the less complex the engineering, the better.

I second the issue of reach problems in the corner of the "L" and the left side extensions, which are going to be really hard to reach. Since you have hidden helixes in both spots, you'll need some kind of access point when the inevitable problems occur. I'd also do what I could to remove the reverse loop from the hidden trackage. Although I'm not oposed to helixes if they are your only option, I'd try every other method first, since a continuous curving grade is always about 1% more than the actual grade in terms of overcoming flange friction. Having them hidden just adds to the potential problems.

Thank you guys for your comments, appreciate it!
so i re-drew those hard to reach sections, now its look a bit better.

Beachbum, im not a big helix fan too, but i cant see any other option here for about 7 inches elevation except helix, i do prefer to let the train just run instead a helix. still wonder, what else can i change to make it even better..

other then that, i think it looks pretty good, man, xtrackcad isonr good software!

I haven't worked out the grades but can you not build all but the yards on a continuous grade? That would be what's referred to as a "nolix". Just a thought...

thank you for your comments, along with your inputs and couple of good guys at my local club i shell go back and redrew some parts, such as move the lower stging yard under the main layout's area, instead where it locate now, also change the radius to a minimum of 20 inches, and some other changes.
thank you for your ideas,

Beachbum, what do you mean by saying continuous grade?

Beachbum, what do you mean by saying continuous grade?

All the tracks except the yards and industry spurs are on a ramp.

Think of a very large helix that wraps around the walls of a room. You start at say 40 inches high. By the time you get to the opposite wall, you're at 46 inches high, then by the time you wrap back to the starting wall, you're at 52 inches high and effectively on a second deck above your starting point. This type of design is referred to as a "nolix".

Trains are constantly climbing (or descending, depending on direction). Yards, spurs, and turnouts are on flat sections to avoid rollaway cars, etc.

Back