My new (and maybe improved) layout

Your striping looks good and the line for the stop is a nice touch, the styrene makes a nice road especially for the modern layouts!! lasm

Thanks for the kind works. I really want to try and finish this section up this week. Got a few buildings in the works right now so they've taken up my free time

I got most of the existing roads striped yesterday and did a little scenery this morning.
cdcd21219737871e4f2a6b28de843613.jpg
This area is pretty much done with the exception of some type of crossing protection. The stripes are 1/2 inch long and 1/2 inch apart. The road is 3.5 inches wide, which is the correct scale according to some research I did.
7ca23ddc856cf3713836534b5c6524df.jpg
This road here is about 5 feet long. It's kind of my "major" road that runs along the edge of the layout. All the striping was done with a paint marker and masking tape. They were painter primer grey and will be weathered eventually one I come up with a good way to go about doing that.
995b0a510d64d7d545d50903c44d992c.jpg
I had the spur laid and didn't want to take it up so I made it into a team track for local shippers to use. Once I get static grass I'll go back and add that to all the areas that need it.

That will look great when finished, I like the long road parallel to the tracks. Weathering will really finish the road off.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had some time over the last week to get some progress made on the layout. Tomorrow Im hoping to get some photos posted here. There's a possibility I may add a duck under for continuous running. I'll explain that though when I post the pics.

As promised here are a few progress shots from the last weeks worth of work.
fe641b40c84dfe1617f20ad1b577c175.jpg
I've been focusing my attention in the downtown scene. The building is Jim's red owl by Walthers.
ed2ba6703a671568a7bd7d484e2d59ec.jpg
Got some trees put in finally as well.
083713a30097f0aa6c322727d491028b.jpg
here's a shot looking down mainstreet although I'm not sure if that will be the final name of this road. I still need to buy the chain link fencing for the auto resto company on the left.
09413d021a6c3a1ae4837da1de38e084.jpg
Here's another view with the bushes installed.

88643be73acaa6497f9b7aba732f1710.jpg
I didn't like this area which was originally just a grassy field. So I'm adding a small park and parking lot.
b428dcfa14fc6228568a58faa161a3c6.jpg
I also starting building the Mars candy building which is one of the two buildings which make up the complex on the layout. This is a pikestuff kit. It's only got a few windows since it's a corner building.
Hopefully this week I can get the park area finished and turn my attention to the dairy farm scenery.

Nice update. Can't help but mention how good all the trees look , can you say if there scratch built or ready mades?

Thanks! Lynn the trees are from JTT scenery. They're ready made, and fairly cheap for the quality. The woodland scenics ones are about the same price if I remember correctly. But those look so fake and tacky.
I really need to get a back drop made soon. That's on my winter to do list when time and money permit. Right now I've been working with mostly what I've already got and trying not to buy things because of the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
5092b8725dff0ba8c4dfc48c13df0ac5.jpg
this is a close up of the detail in the trees. The pine tree is about 6 inches tall and looks massive next to the other trees. So I used these two by themselves.
82efe0c3d29319ee7774084b0ed7b344.jpg
This is a view of the area and you can also see the roads that I've added by the buildings. The track in the top right corner will be taken out soon and relaid. I'm not happy with how it looks and there's no easy way to get a building in there.

Those are some really nice looking trees!! Having them right in front really shows them off. Your entire scene is really great!!! lasm

Indeed, nice looking trees, I also like those bushes
I just added them to my wish list and that list is getting longer and longer

Thanks for the pictures

Thanks guys! The bushes are JTT ones. I'm not thrilled with them but they'll work.
Hawkesbury, I hear ya about that wish list. Mine is probably a mile long now lol. It would be great to get my back drop done and get the fine details for all these scenes. The good thing is that I'm no hurry to finish!

I finally found time to get down to the basement and work on the layout a bit. There are a bunch of works in progress still but hopefully they will come together soon! Here are a few photos of my progress
07d255070c7fb355ace18ece058fa44c.jpg

8197f7c44e3a5f2401c6adc601ae2802.jpg
The parking lot for the park area is complete except for the concrete stops at the ends of the parking spaces. Those are on my to get soon list.
a8c50f656e1d76d6f125b0b7a0b3d2a1.jpg

2a25e827d2e4e2dfbc37518aed8914df.jpg
I finished up the sidewalks and pavement here along with the scenery. And installed a mail box on the street corner.
b202c20fe8e441d5fb4b8d05462f1413.jpg
The dairy farm area is complete. This entire portion of the layout needs static grass still. I've got the grass but no batteries for my applicator.
https://vimeo.com/116887763 and here's a quick run by of the coal train I've putting together. The BN cars are all bowser kits that I've bought and built over the last few months.

Looks great, you've made a lot of progress!

Is that a dirt road running parallel to the track or the remains of removed trackage?

Keep the updates coming!

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahh yes! Nothing like a 'romantic picnic next to a railway line and a shitter" to perk up the love life!

Looks great A2TwrOpr, I like your buildings as well and am going to have to copy some of you work for mine.

Back