My Latest

Status
Not open for further replies.

cablehead

here's the most recent car i completed... this only took me around 2.5 years to finish since my personal life kinda got in the way of my model trains... lol...

DSCI0399a.jpg

DSCI0412a.jpg

DSCI0414a.jpg

DSCI0390.jpg

any comments or questions are welcome...

jeremy

Speechless

here's the most recent car i completed... this only took me around 2.5 years to finish since my personal life kinda got in the way of my model trains... lol...

DSCI0399a.jpg

DSCI0412a.jpg

DSCI0414a.jpg

DSCI0390.jpg

any comments or questions are welcome...

jeremy

I'm speechless! An aritst you are.
This is my attempt at weathering. This car on my layout would not be even a year old yet and has only seen one winter on the east coast; any suggestions, if possible, would be appreciated.

i think Jeremy came here to respond to the trainsweathered rant thread.

and as far as the car why did you neglected it like this! with all that rust it looks like it is going to fall apart any minute. i think your railroad really needs to invest quite a bit in better fleet maintenance , lol

i'm quite amazed at sertain things sertain people acomplish.

Beautiful!

Beautifully painted!!!

Does anyone know of any Railroad Clubs for kids? My son is 10 and has been building layouts since he was 7. He has been in love with trains since he was 2. But after moving to Central Florida I'm only finding railroad clubs for adults. Any suggestions?

thanks guys, the comments are greatly appreciated...

zoegraf, i brightened your pic up a bit and to me it looks nice... i assume you are going for a slightly used look? as far as i can tell you've got some good grunge built up there but it's not too heavy... the lettering looks a little faded, which fits that look...

the only thing i was unsure about was the trucks... they look a little too white to me... they aren't over done by any means though... over all a nicely done job...

tankist... yeah, i joined here a few years ago but didn't really have anything to post... i have been lurking off and on since but when i saw the MTW thread i joined under my other name 'elogger' but i went to post and for some reason had been banned... then i found my original username and posted under that...

i'll be sure to be a bit more active though... and i'll be sure to get on that car maintenance... lol

jeremy

thanks josh... there is an IATR 13146 in real life btw guys... it's over at rrpicturearchives.net... that and 13151 or 52 were used to do this car...

jeremy

Fantastic weathering job (and good photography too). I especially like the smiley face under the reporting marks near the B end.

lol... thanks rico...

fishplate, there were some other little tags as well on the two cars i used for the weathering of this car but i couldn't really make out what they said so i left em off... had to keep the smiley face though!

jeremy

lol... thanks rico...

fishplate, there were some other little tags as well on the two cars i used for the weathering of this car but i couldn't really make out what they said so i left em off... had to keep the smiley face though!

jeremy

That car looks like someone left it out in the rain too long!!:eek: Love it that way:D:):D---BTW--ever seen boxes or such with steel patches being used to repair holes and such? And even that rusted up? I found one in one of my older photos---looks like something I'd like to see you do!:):):):D

I'm hunting for a GOOD scanner---

yeah, i love these old evans cars... they definitely lend themselves to their fair share of rust... oh, i completely detailed the under fame as well,

DSCF0070.jpg

and here's a pic of the roof...

DSCI0235a.jpg

blowoutcylinder, sweet, let's see it!

jeremy

OK, you want some criticism? All that work on the brake rigging was a waste of time. It's hanging way too low and would be bad-ordered at the first RIP track. The weathering on the trucks looks awful. It looks like you just painted the whole thing with some rusty color and the springs look exactly the same as the rest of the truck. The springs would at least have more rust than the rest of the trucks. The stirrup steps are crooked and don't match the real car. The door locking latches are almost completely clean and should have accumulated at least as much rust as the rest of the car. There certainly should be some rust from scraping at the door latches. I could go on but now you see what the rest of us get at MTW if we showed the same type of car.

OK, you want some criticism? All that work on the brake rigging was a waste of time. It's hanging way too low and would be bad-ordered at the first RIP track. The weathering on the trucks looks awful. It looks like you just painted the whole thing with some rusty color and the springs look exactly the same as the rest of the truck. The springs would at least have more rust than the rest of the trucks. The stirrup steps are crooked and don't match the real car. The door locking latches are almost completely clean and should have accumulated at least as much rust as the rest of the car. There certainly should be some rust from scraping at the door latches. I could go on but now you see what the rest of us get at MTW if we showed the same type of car.

ok, lets see...

yeah, brake rigging may be too low but not by much if at all... go look at some scale drawings and you'll see what i mean... that's how i modeled the brake rigging since these cars have a distinctive setup...

trucks... yeah, i'm gonna take the time to weather the entire car and just spray paint the trucks... some guys do that though... here you go dude...

DSCI0391a.jpg

any why would the springs be rustier than the rest of the truck? most of the photos i've seen, the springs have less rust... they do move around a bit and are able to shake rust off somewhat i guess...

ok, what's next? the stirrups... have you never seen crooked stirrups before? as a matter of fact, i actually went and looked up the proto version of this car here lightened it up a bit because you can't actually see the stirrups and if i didn't match them, i came pretty darn close...

the door locking latches? all i can say is go look at the actual car... no, i didn't follow that example exactly but i got pretty close to it... there are no scratches... there's some rust, but it's not caked on...

and by all means, don't stop now, you were on a roll... i mean, how am i ever going to improve if no one ever gives me an honest critique?

jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:
You're brake rigging is a little too low? There's no railroad in the country that allow a car with brake rigging a few inches above grade crossing level to run. You'd better take a look at the prototype again. There tons of rust streaks around the door latches and door hinges, all of which you failed to model. OTOH, the prototype clearly shows the GT slogan is still clearly visible but you obliterated most of it, apparently even putting the tack board in the wrong place.

You can clearly see some color variation in the truck photo you posted. I have no idea where that picture came from but you can see the bearing covers are still black, something you missed. As for trucks, how about this AMC boxcar:

100_2981.JPG

Do the trucks all look the same to color to you?

I could go on but it's pointless. None of use will ever get things exactly right. At MTW, you'd better be with 99% of right or expect to get a pasting

If you had simply posted this picture here, I'd say close enough and good work. At MTW, which you so vigorously defend, your picture would have been torn up until you felt like you had no idea what you were doing. Feel good? That's what newbies feel like when they get comments from smart asses like you

You're brake rigging is a little too low? There's no railroad in the country that allow a car with brake rigging a few inches above grade crossing level to run. You'd better take a look at the prototype again. There tons of rust streaks around the door latches and door hinges, all of which you failed to model. OTOH, the prototype clearly shows the GT slogan is still clearly visible but you obliterated most of it, apparently even putting the tack board in the wrong place.

You can clearly see some color variation in the truck photo you posted. I have no idea where that picture came from but you can see the bearing covers are still black, something you missed. As for trucks, how about this AMC boxcar:

100_2981.JPG

Do the trucks all look the same to color to you?

I could go on but it's pointless. None of use will ever get things exactly right. At MTW, you'd better be with 99% of right or expect to get a pasting

If you had simply posted this picture here, I'd say close enough and good work. At MTW, which you so vigorously defend, your picture would have been torn up until you felt like you had no idea what you were doing. Feel good? That's what newbies feel like when they get comments from smart asses like you

LMFAO!

the photo of the trucks i posted came from my model

the tack boards are incorrect because that is where athearn put them... i guess i should point out here that this is only the fourth car i've ever done... i'm new to this and i actually used the wrong car... i should have used an atlas car but whatever... anyway, i have five years in and you have forty, i hope i'm at least knowledgable enough to speak about the cars i weather well enough to exhibit even a passing familiarity of them after forty years...

go look up a picture of an evans car are check out the brake rigging... it hangs very low in relation to other cars...

no, this was posted in the fantasy weathered section, it is not protoypically correct... the car itself is incorrect and the weathering is a mix of two different cars... and i thought you did a search of my comments at MTW... if you had, you'd have known that this car is the topic of three separate threads and over 200 posts...

and as far as mean spirited comments from myself towards newbies, i urge you to find them... please, go look them up... other than a joking comment about your hi-liter method that you have inexplicably taken to be some sort of personal attack on you, i defy you to find any...

jeremy

Once again, this is hopeless. You spent 2 and a half years weathering this car yet admit that it's fantasy car and couldn't even come up with the right car to begin with. I didn't see any signs of the black roller bearing covers, dude, but maybe I missed them. You've illustrated the difference between a guy who weathers freight cars and an actual modeler. Most experienced modelers here could have peeled off that tack board and added one in the right position. You just painted right over it, knowing the position was wrong. No matter what you say, the brake rigging is much too low. You'd find that out if you had an actual layout and had to run that car over things like grade crossings and station platforms.

Really, I would not have been so hard on you if you did not come from (and make a point of it) a site which claims to be the authority on weathering cars. If you had posted this was a fantasy car and had some errors, I wouldn't have had any comments since I've done the same kind of thing myself. The weathering, in general, is quite good, but it also has identifiable errors. The reason why this is called a model railroad forum is most of us are either building or operating a model railroad. Many of us weather cars but not to the standards of MTW. If we did, out consists would be about four cars long. I think I'm pretty good at weathering but I also have to make realistic roads, build and weather structures, make trees, and do wiring and lighting. It's fine that your interest is weathering freight cars but it's not model railroading.

I'm quite certain that the first track plan you made, assuming you've made any, would have been the subject to a lot of comments but they all would have been constructive and no one would have suggested the plan be stuffed in a bottle. A smart ass comment is a smart ass comment and has no place in civilized exchange. Good luck to you if you only want to weather cars. I have a railroad to run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back