My JMRI Journey

well, they don't call the version of JMRI i'm using a beta out of modesty. caught a simple bug that really drove me nuts!

was working on speed matching 3 locos with OEM Tsunami, QSI revo and DH163. settings are so different for all of them that it was daunting task all by itself. with 3 programmers on screen it was doable actually but suddenly this started.

made change to QSI loco and got him on yet another test run, it stopped after couple seconds. WTF, tried again, same thing. cleaned the rails, same thing. it became clear the contact is not an issue here (although it was clear as it is since sound didn't seize, but just dropped to idle.) reset the decoder, runs fine. yey! set the long address back (which is quite a hoot for these decoders) same thing! i begin to pull my own hair and cursing atlas. got quite late. as i decided to leave it for better days and start closing all the miriad of JMRI windows i stumble upon open throttle for this loco. i decide to give it a go just of the hek of it and after several seconds i see the speed slider suddenly drop!!! M$%#&^$%!!! close the window, reopen, acquire same address and all is good again! son of a #@$*!!!!

i'm very happy my decoder is intact and the exersize in decoder reset did not go invain. i found that there is also a asound of turbocharger the previous owner decided to turn off. tried to run with it, and decided i like the old way better, LOL.

tonight i'm going to resume fighting with speeds :)

I am experiencing that VERY SAME problem right now. My locos will run for 2 to 3 seconds, the slider will drop to zero, and it will stop. What fixed this for you?

as above .
close the window, reopen, acquire same address and all is good again!

but i'm sure glad i'm not alone in this. misery likes company, LOL
i'm considering reverting back to stable 2.10

Posting for two reasons. First I want to bring this back to the top and see what the latest is. Second I want to put my name on the list so I can get the newest posts. Thanks for sharing your...blog.

Reid, thank you for your interest. :)

JMRI is working. i'm gearing up to add momentary detection (thread) . as soon as hardware portion is complete i will set on creating JMRI logix rules to protect turnouts.
i also working on a frame that will hold the touchscreen against the layout table. once its all nicely attached i will surley be here to brag about it :)

its a bare monitor, removed from kiosk. here is the link to auction (it will expire soon). i think it was somewhat lucky purchase , but there are more of these , usually around 100$ mark

Hey Tankist, this might be a dumb question, but how does this monitor work? I take it you need a standard computer of some sorts? What software on your computer do you use to recognize the touch screen aspect of the monitor? I like this whole idea.... And now that I'm getting the hang of JMRI, it would work pretty nice .....

well its a monitor, and as any monitor it is useless without a PC (my JMRI PC). being a touchscreen aside of usial D-Sub video input it has a USB connector (and COM since it is years old model) for the touch output. ELO touchscreen driver determines how touch behaves, there are bunch of settings + the calibration. i configured it to fast click at touch, which means i can not drag things such as JMRI throttle speed around, but it made working with the panel easier.

That is awesome. Now I'm thinking about it too!!. Right now, I have my ipad set up to with an app I downloaded that works seamlessly with the withrottle in JMRI. But adding a permenant display might be a thought...

Back