My inherited disaster...and legacy!

I dunno yet... I am kind of at a crossroads now. My mom had said that she would like it all finished up to its full potential and deserved glory. But, now there is talk of refinishing the full basement into a family room and possibly another room. If that happens, the layout can't stay, and eventually I will have my own place for a layout that I will devote most of my time to, and this one will get neglected.

If it stays, I am thinking just flat surfaced industrial. Now I am kicking around an idea of ripping one of the mains out, and just leaving sections as sidings....maybe....

With it all being up in the air right now, I think I will just work in a few cheap industry tracks to make something atleast semi operational. So its more than pull a string of cars out of the yard, run a few laps, and shove them back in.

A second idea, if she really wants something to stay, dad had plans to rip this one out, and build a 3 level shelf layout around the walls, with a family room involved. He had all the plans, everything short, of in his head.... on wall hangers, brackets, everything. So if that DOES come around, boy it will take a LOT of research.

I'm envious of all those BN Engines.... Theirs some great stuff their.

lol. He was a huge BN fan, and also adopted the Santa Fe after the merger. Maybe after I get up to it next week, I will pull out MOST of the BN collection, and stack it all up for a picture for you. :cool:

Sounds like you have a lot to figure out. Although a 3 level around the room layout would be nice. Lots of room for different scenery and operating possibilities. Keep us up to date as to what happens. For now, just keep'em rolling....lol

You're doing a great job of showing off your Dad's stuff. I'm sure he would be proud. What kind of layout do you want? You'll be the one keeping his motive power and equipment busy from now on. Model railroading may be fun, but it can also be very frustrating if you bite off more than you can chew. Modeling something you like, or familiar with, can make you a happier model railroader, sometimes.

I'm envious of all those BN Engines.... Theirs some great stuff their.

OK, as of right now, My little yard looks like an engine facility that would rival Alliance, NE ( including EVERYTHING from 1970 to 1994!) I have not taken any pictures YET, since there are 3 more things that I cannot remember where I put since the first time I took pictures of them. And those 3 pieces would finish the whole group off.

There are at least 2 things, (actually a 3rd that is already out) that I will grab quick pictures of and post them, that are NOT leaving their boxes... and post to at least give a quick taste.

In the next couple of days, I will push to find the last 3 pieces I am missing, and finish the FULL picture of MOST all the 'cascade green and black' NOT sub-lettered for post merger. After that, I will put MOST away, and fill it all back in with 1994-merger-to present.... no ES or 70ACe variants though....at least yet.

Alright, I had said I was going to post a teaser of a couple things until I found a couple more pieces. But after taking the pics, I had to locate my cable for my camera.(the one I am using for my camera, is actually for my portable hard drive) Well, I remembered where I put the last couple pieces, and the cable. So here is the MAJORITY of the green and black fleet, including a few Oakways. I say majority, as there are 4 or five shells MIA that I know exist, not counting a couple more SD40-2 shells, and another F45 shell I just didnt bother digging out, plus a Trainline GP15, that is in pieces and I get to figure out how far through the project, of putting directional-constant lighting-front and rear ditchlights in, where dad had stopped. There are 2 in the group that still need decaled, and 7 or 8 that need handrails finished.

IMG_5942.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

And this project needs finished...

IMG_5930.jpg

IMG_5928.jpg

Athearn bb GP50, with kitbashed 7-man crew cab

Ok, I was going to point it out, but decided to see if anyone can find it...

Something is wrong with one of those engines in the group picture... and when it is found, I will explain it. :cool:

Ok, I was going to point it out, but decided to see if anyone can find it...

Something is wrong with one of those engines in the group picture... and when it is found, I will explain it. :cool:

It should be pretty easy to spot... hehehe :p

P.S. On a side note, only 3 of that entire group are repeating numbers

Last edited by a moderator:
The windows on the Oakway unit or the windows on the SD9 (7)?
The fuel tender is not hooked up with GP50's?
Otherwise there's way too many green engines. Better send a couple this way! :)

The windows on the Oakway unit or the windows on the SD9 (7)?
The fuel tender is not hooked up with GP50's?
Otherwise there's way too many green engines. Better send a couple this way! :)

nope, nope, nope, and lol, I have culled the herd slightly already :)

you can see it in the first picture only...not any of the others.

Like they say, "truth is stranger than fiction". Maybe somebody was recovering from a bout with the "brown bottle flu" when he was painting.:rolleyes: Surprised that it wasn't caught and redone right away, along with a reprimand for the painter. Wonder how long it was left that way?

Quite a collection. About how much space does the layout take up?

Like they say, "truth is stranger than fiction". Maybe somebody was recovering from a bout with the "brown bottle flu" when he was painting.:rolleyes: Surprised that it wasn't caught and redone right away, along with a reprimand for the painter. Wonder how long it was left that way?

Quite a collection. About how much space does the layout take up?

The slide date is June 1, '72, and no clue on how long it stayed on there. On that note, when I finally get to painting/decaling, there is another "one-off" I really want to do. I don't have the picture of it, and would take me quite a while to find the right VHS to get a screen grab, but we stumbled across a ATSF B23-7(I think) with replacement doors on the long hood that spelled "Sama Fe". NOBODY saw it when it went by, one of the group ended up with a perfect roster slide of it(on accident, just taking the picture of the engine), that's how we found. Dad went back through his video, and sure enough, there it was.

I will get the dimensions of the room, I don't remember off hand.

I couldn't get EXACT with too much stuff on the table, and not a long enough tape measure handy... but room is around 23' x 9'

Back