My inherited disaster...and legacy!

A pair of Kato BNSF-patched ex-ATSF SD45s. Weathered and detailed.

IMG_5820.jpg

IMG_5819.jpg

IMG_5817.jpg

IMG_5818.jpg

IMG_5821.jpg

How is that for custom box labels?! correct number patches added from photoshop.

IMG_5626-1.jpg

dads RoadRailer train. There's only a handful out, I think the whole train might be around 20 cars, plus there are 8 to 10 more kits to be built

IMG_5633-1.jpg

IMG_5634-1.jpg

All of these, GP30, SD60M, B30-7A1, Oakway SD60 are custom painted and detailed from Railpower kits on Athearn drives. The fuel tender is custom painted also, but just a 10,000gal Roundhouse car, I think.

IMG_5834.jpg

Kato SD40-2, Altas Silver U30C, Atlas U33C, 20 older McKean Models BN coal hoppers

IMG_5836.jpg

old Athrean bb U30B, custom paint

IMG_5755.jpg

A christmas gift from me, Athearn RTR BN1 and 2 set. And onto most of my Milw/Soo Line/CP power... Those are my Kato Soo Line SD40-2 and P2K KCS SD50.

IMG_5783.jpg

Fictional custom painted and detailed (gift) P2K CP SD9 with "Golden Rodent"

IMG_5791.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

2 custom painted and detailed RP SD60Ms. each is done by 2 different people, as 2 different tones of "candy apple red" paint.

IMG_5837.jpg

P2K Milw GP30. The SD40-2s and the GP38-2 are Athearn bbs, the bandit needs finished decaled. The Soo Line SD40-2 is custom painted. Kato CP SD40-2/SD45 car body

And for some reason, I cannot find my 2 ofther custom painted and detailed Milw GP38-2s....

Last edited by a moderator:
Man I'd love to of had that "Mess" theirs some nice stuff their. Who made the BN GP39M 2814? Your dad certainly collected some nice stuff!

Man I'd love to of had that "Mess" theirs some nice stuff their. Who made the BN GP39M 2814? Your dad certainly collected some nice stuff!

one of his best friends, Dave Evans, built and painted it for him. hes the same guy that built and painted SOO 6058 for him- for me for a Christmas present, when RP SD60M shells were brand new :)

Your dad had a lot of cool gear. Nice to see you are cleaning up the layout and putting it to good use.

I am sure your pops is looking down with a huge smile. I hope you get it all organized and get the layout up and running so he can enjoy it too.

Thanks for the encouraging words from everyone.

Well, spent most the day yesturday on major cleanout. Including 5 more garbage bags of junk, water ruined (do have a leak somewhere on unusualy hard rains) paper, and kits and old electronics that cannot be saved or fixed.

Been dragging my toes today, but am about to get in there and do a secondary sweep through the stuff and get it in plastic totes under the layout.

IMG_5750.jpg

IMG_5751.jpg

Most of the cab fleet... the top row is all brass, and found another older steel CB&Q brass cab after this picture.

Middle row, except the white SOO cab, are all Atlas. Red SOO cab is custom painted, white SOO cab is factory Athrean bb, but with working yellow flashing light, 9v battery powered.

IMG_5748.jpg

Kadee cab, and I see in the forums that there are more of these still around than I had thought. This still in its original box.

IMG_5752.jpg

A little mutant that dad whipped up, I guess :)

I did sell off 3 brass cabs at the last swap meet last month. A GN wood cab, an older style steel GN cab, and a SP&S newer style(like the others in the picture) steel cab.

There are many more Athearn bb cabs running around, including another Atlas CB&Q cab, and an Athearn RTR in ATSF red w/large logo.

Eventually I will get the Brass Balboa GN pass. cars out.

And will continue his work in building a ATSF '40s/'50s mail train. He started it because he found P2K ATSF PA/PB set for a steal.

OHHH, and every time I do anything in there, I always have my computer (just on the other side of the way outside the doorway) streaming scanner radio feed from local Galesburg hump yard! :cool:

Whew, now I am making some nice headway!

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

Now, just have a little bit more to remove from the area where the min shop-vac is, and will take a cleaning break and put in some yard tracks. I got a little ahead of myself when I got the mains re wired and the bridge re-rebuilt, and got a bunch of stuff out of boxes. and so i dont have to put them BACK in their box, I will just build a yard for them. :D Here are a few more pictures for you guys to chew on ;) Ohh, that is a NS 1983 calender. Think I will leave it up for novelty.

IMG_5855.jpg

Both SD9s are P2K factory jobs. And my new lift out bridge. wired it in using a/v jacks. Yes, it does look over sized to put a 3rd, "branch line" of sorts to an eventual industry.

IMG_5867.jpg

IMG_5858.jpg

IMG_5862.jpg

IMG_5860.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

All are either custom paints, custom weathered, or both. And assorted Atlas, Athearn RTR, Intermountain- kits and RTR

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some good pieces you have there. I really like that Burlington covered hopper. Great job on the weathering and patch work.

Whew, now I am making some nice headway!

IMG_5873.jpg

IMG_5874.jpg

Now, just have a little bit more to remove from the area where the min shop-vac is, and will take a cleaning break and put in some yard tracks. I got a little ahead of myself when I got the mains re wired and the bridge re-rebuilt, and got a bunch of stuff out of boxes. and so i dont have to put them BACK in their box, I will just build a yard for them. :D Here are a few more pictures for you guys to chew on ;) Ohh, that is a NS 1983 calender. Think I will leave it up for novelty.

Pretty good 24-hour progress! That whole spot cleared out, and the 2 lone tracks pulled up and used in the yard.

IMG_5876.jpg

IMG_5878.jpg

Well, I just had to fill the yard I built :) Well, major progress wont go as fast for a little while, I used all the last flex track I had, and most the the rail joiners and straight snap track. all of that still needs somewhat wired, it is all insulated and dead.

IMG_5877.jpg

IMG_5880.jpg

IMG_5881.jpg

All 6 engines sitting there, 2- SD9s, 2- GP30s, GP9, and little sw9 are all P2K

Your dad left you a room full of treasure and that is so cool that your going through it and making use of it!

Cool. What are you going to do about scenery? Any thoughts on operations?

Back