My HO layout

Don't want to jack your thread but I'm still waiting for some "supplies" to arrive from the States, and I managed to get all the track in one go from my local hobby shop, I'm now with a maxed out credit card. I really should stay away from the hobby shop.... ;)

I just jacked up my Truck this morning.....LOL!

That good to hear about your layout plans....everything is coming together.....

'The Warrior' toy museum in Simonstown, Cape Town has alot of BNIB N & Z scale locos & trainsets for cheap....I think I've got pics of it...will load it on my thread about the museum & let you know....have a look... ;)

So I unpacked & dusted off my old bunch off Marklin stuff.....thinking of combining it into my layout.....what you think?! ;)

Must be 1 of the nicest Fridays in a long time......Started out taking a little cruise in a friend's '54 Chevy Custom....on my way back I stopped @ the post office...& Finally! After a 10week wait....a certain package had arrived all the way from Canada from the hands of Mr Kellan Zimmer....thanx again Kellan......as you can see Walthers Roundhouse is taking shape aswell as a couple of additions to add to the layout....more to come....keep well

^ thanx...we did all the mechs on it last year & this year we installed a 5-speed manual trans......Further more I just finished building the roundhouse ( gonna install LEDs later on ).....Also got the turntable electrified up & it's working like a charm....thanx again Kellan.....pics soon to follow.J

^ I wanted to see what it would look like on the layout ( size wise ).....the roof is on etc....now for laying some new track,switches etc & get the TT & roundhouse installed + the wires.....oh joy ;)

1st of all Happy New Year to all.......I did abit of work on the layout...finally got the track laid in the switchyard/shipyard...you can also see the locoshad & locoyard in the background...more to come soon

& I changed it again! LOL! This time around I'll stick with it.

@ the top there's a single siding ( where the UP SD40-2 & crane is )

With 2 sidings to the left of that & a siding going through the middle with another single siding @ the bottom.Behind the silos there's double slips with a single cross that leads to the siding going through the middle.At the far end is a siding where I can run a loco to & back it up past a train standing in the middle.More to come.....stay tuned.J ;)

very impressive!

so right...what you see is the code 83 turnout from atlas....lifted to match the code 100 flex.

very nice way of raising the grade. you have excellent crafting skills. although wow that is steep! but this could come in handy...longer trains going up hill will need a "helper" engine on the point or on the rear for the journey. thus it would be wise to create a siding or spur whereby a helper engine could be ready to back up your long consist if it really has to pull a fierce load upgrade. of course you could always have a loco tag on at the bottom as the C&O for years knew a helper would be needed from the very start hauling the coal in steam era.

some tips on engines for such a steep haul :
i wouldnt tax the USA company "China made" engines too much ...better keep double or triple heading them if you want them to last. Avoid bachmann in HO if you can. if you use Kato gear you are always better off-excellent drives. Some Atlas has Austrian Roco made drives, which is just as good. Just my .02 with plenty of money spent down the drain...

^Thanx,will keep that in mind.I've ran up to 15car trains up that steep incline with no problems,not even wheels slipping or trains slowing down....well,some of the cars' weights has been taken out.
Almost all my locos are Athearn,except for my UP SD40-2 which is Bachmann,have had it more 3months now & no problems & it's running almost every day for about an hour.Then I've got another 4-6-2 Bachmann on it's way.

As for the 'helper loco' on the steep incline,that was kinda my idea since the beginning......but only when my trains go past the 20car lenght.

Keep checking back for more......Alot of building will be happing soon ;)

Back