My Haul

funnelfan

I went to the train show in Puallyup, WA today (not sure if I spelled that right). And I thought it would be fun to show off some of the deals I got.

1. One particular seller accepted a offer I made on the all the items in this photo. For $70 I got two five packs of articulated TTX 48' well cars from Walthers, NIB kits with different numbers. A Con-Cor 60' Greenville boxcar in Santa Fe that was part of a special run produced by ProtoPower West. Two Front Range 60' centerbeams, a BCR and a undec one that will become a BN car.

2. I'll probably end up E-baying this car, even though I saw a prototype of it still running around on the BNSF just three years ago. It's a GN Con Cor 60' Greenville boxcar. I couldn't pass it up for only $5.

3. A RTR LBF model of a FMC double door boxcar in BN for only $7.50. I've really wanted this car since it hold a special place in freightcar design. This was the last of the internally braced boxcars, and prehaps the only plate C double door box (non-insulated) without outside ribs. All other non-insulated cars made after these cars featured external ribs.

4. Two sets of McKean 45' trailers, for just $4 per pair. Couldn't pass these up for my late 80's, early 90's intermodal trains.

Ted,

As someone who has put together one of the McKean/Front Range centerbeams (and owns two more kits to assemble), I cannot stress enough the need to read all the instructions before assembling. They'll probably take a bit of tweaking to get them together perfectly square as well.

Toss the included trucks. I used Atlas trucks to replace them. Kadee #29s are recommended by Kadee, regardless of what the instructions say about #5s. Check the coupler height carefully - I still ended up with a car that's higher at one end than the other.

Happily they come with more grab irons than you will need. Fragile suckers, too. They also, fortunately, come with more winches than needed as well. My opera kits included a couple parts (support trusses) from the standard car version as well, for which I spent a few minutes poring over the instructions trying to figure out where they went...

Last edited by a moderator:
5. Many of the old MDC kits are becoming scarce, and I'm trying to pick up some favorites as soon as I see them. Such as these two bulkhead kits for $7 each. A Columbia and Cowlitz, and a Oregon Pacific& Eastern. Gotta love these northwest shortline cars.

6. Another great find was this MDC Portland Longview and Northern "We Love Oregon" boxcar for just $5 as well.

7. And finally a MDC Cotton Belt DD boxcar and a Walthers CNW waffle side boxcar that was only slightly beat up. Prices as shown. I was able to get all the deals I really wanted before I ran out of money, so it was a good day!

If you guys get a good deal on some of the harder to find stuff, post pics and a story.

Ted,

As someone who has put together one of the McKean/Front Range centerbeams (and owns two more kits to assemble), I cannot stress enough the need to read all the instructions before assembling. They'll probably take a bit of tweaking to get them together perfectly square as well. .

I've delt with these Front Range/McKean centerbeams before, so I know what I'm getting myself into with them. But these are a nice complement to the Walthers 72' cars. I will have several of both before I'm satisfied

I'm building mine for my father-in-law, as his layout has tight enough curves that the Walther's cars really look weird on it.... 60' cars are just about right. I know he's looking forward to the new 60' Canadian Prototype bulkhead flats that are coming out too.

I thought the Walthers cars were the 73', not 72' ones? Maybe I'm wrong.

Nice haul, I decided a few days back that I think I'll go to the regional train show... for the vendors of course. Hopefully I can get a haul on those well cars like that!

Back