My Garden Railway Build - 1/1 Scale :-)

November 28th

By the end of the 28th, I'd got two courses of cleaned up bricks, rebuilt into the wall. Towards the end of the day, the temperature began to drop, so it was all covered in some fleece blankets.

obsy587.jpg

November 30th

Thursday the 30th dawned very cold and very white. With very cold weather forecast for at least a week, building work stopped. Without the effort and expense of warming water, bricks and sand, my mortar wasn't going to cure properly, so garden work has paused.

obsy588.jpg

What was worse, is that in the best traditions of British Rail, it was the "Wrong type of snow", so all trains were cancelled again! and we'd only just recovered from the leaf tragedy! 😁

obsy589.jpg

So here's my wall today, December 2nd, lost under a plastic sheet, several more blankets and a couple of inches of snow. I did get the fence across the end of the garage done before the frost and with the lawn, railway and path complete, all the main goals for the year were achieved. If it warms up after this snow goes, I'll get back to the wall, but overall, I'm very pleased with year's work.

obsy590.jpg

I might have more wall building to do after this morning. At about 7:15am, I think due to icy roads, someone buried their BMW in our front garden wall, also snapping off the top eight feet of the telegraph pole through whiplash! Phone lines and internet down for us and our neighbours!

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I want to finish the story of the garden rework, which is almost complete.

I left the story with news that was garden wall rearranged, thanks to an icy road and a BMW that buried itself in my front garden wall and snapped the telegraph pole in December. Here's some pictures of the fun!

obsy591.jpg

I haven't done any more of my back garden wall rebuild. The weather has been very poor over the Winter and even now, well into Spring, it has been chucking it down or blowing a gale. I'm still hanging out for a few warm, calm and dry days!

Another Winter project, built inside in my workshop thankfully, is this Anti-butterfly air defence system. When we put the veggie planters in, the neighbours warned us about slugs. Nobody mentioned butterflies laying eggs and the hungry caterpillars! This frame has a 5mm mesh, which I'm told is too small for the butterflies. The 7mm netting we had over the planter last year didn't stop them.

obsy592.jpg

In early April, I spent a day weeding the small border along the hawthorn hedge - 70 feet out of 100 feet. I've left the bit behind the garage for now. I then dug in a load of sand to help break up the clay soil and help drainage. A week ago, Lynne and I went to a few local garden centres and came away with £120 worth of plants.

These were planted a couple of days ago and calculating for their future spread, they only did 60 feet of the border! I've got some other stuff that I'm growing from seeds, but wanted something down that would eventually help to control the weeds which spread from the other side of the hedge.

obsy593.jpg

We also made a start on planting the railway embankment. Up by the kitchen, there's an area where we are going to enlarge the patio. It's a bit small with a few people, chairs and a table out. So from the area that is going to be buried, we've dug out several plants which have moved to the railway.

These include "Lady's Mantle", "Purple Rock Cress" and "Water Avens". I also dug out some "Forget-me-not" from the edge of the lawn. We still need to shop for more plants, but I also have some wildflower seeds that I will spread around the back edge of the embankment.

obsy594.jpg

For those who are green fingered, here's what we have planted so far.

obsy595.jpg

It's so close to being finished in this area. I'm looking forwards to seeing the rest planted, though it is going to look a little thin for a while until the plants get established and spread out.

obsy596.jpg

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I want to finish the story of the garden rework, which is almost complete.

I left the story with news that was garden wall rearranged, thanks to an icy road and a BMW that buried itself in my front garden wall and snapped the telegraph pole in December. Here's some pictures of the fun!

obsy591.jpg

I haven't done any more of my back garden wall rebuild. The weather has been very poor over the Winter and even now, well into Spring, it has been chucking it down or blowing a gale. I'm still hanging out for a few warm, calm and dry days!

Another Winter project, built inside in my workshop thankfully, is this Anti-butterfly air defence system. When we put the veggie planters in, the neighbours warned us about slugs. Nobody mentioned butterflies laying eggs and the hungry caterpillars! This frame has a 5mm mesh, which I'm told is too small for the butterflies. The 7mm netting we had over the planter last year didn't stop them.

obsy592.jpg
You may need to do sone weathering on the wall to match it in…..runs…

If you guys across the pond drove on the right side of the road, that wouldn't have happened! ;););)
Yes it would, most BMW drivers are not exactly known for their driving skills here, BMW does not stand for Bayerische Motoren Werke in the UK, we have a whole (unrepeatable) name, for their drivers instead. :D plus a few more that Stephen probably managed to find when he saw the damage, but joking aside, from the look of it, no one was injured which is the main thing.

If you guys across the pond drove on the right side of the road, that wouldn't have happened! ;););)

:) She was pulling out of the junction opposite, which is difficult to see down the main road one direction. I think she saw a gap, put her foot down to get out, then hit the ice on the top of the camber in the centre of the road. From that point on-wards, she was a passenger!

She wasn't hurt, but obviously shocked.

I like your avatar excuse the off topic , I hope you have this or similar on your layout :)

Attachments

• IMG_1635.jpeg
    IMG_1635.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1639.jpeg
    IMG_1639.jpeg
    415.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1640.jpeg
    IMG_1640.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1641.jpeg
    IMG_1641.jpeg
    317.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1646.jpeg
    IMG_1646.jpeg
    335.8 KB · Views: 9
All

All my layouts over the years have had some kind of military or aviation theme. Several have had Jeeps on.

Here's "Kingman, AZ" the location of Storage Depot 41 where thousands of WW2 planes were scrapped after the war.

overview6.jpg

overview1.jpg

overview3.jpg
Do you do Facebook??
I say this because a friend weathers his planes and shows them on fire you might like to trial it on the one you broke

He has his on page and is full on Facebook else I would try to drag him here, anyway I could give you a link if you want to look

I prefer my military fit for purpose
IMG_0259.jpeg
aka Dads Army

Attachments

• IMG_8693.jpeg
    IMG_8693.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5559.jpeg
    IMG_5559.jpeg
    553.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0713.jpeg
    IMG_0713.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    419.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5572.jpeg
    IMG_5572.jpeg
    541 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    392.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8956.jpeg
    IMG_8956.jpeg
    466.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    380 KB · Views: 8
Many years ago, my dad and I did a narrow gauge World War 1 layout, with a bombed out town, airfield and trenches at the front lines. Somewhere around 1980/81 I think. We scratch built a few locos and rolling stock. There were aircraft on the airfield and flying over the trenches. It was an exhibition layout, so not all the accessories were on here when the picture was taken, several years later.

raw1.jpg

raw2.jpg

raw3.jpg

raw4.jpg

raw5.jpg

April 13th

On the 13th, we had another push on the railway embankment. After dropping my daughter off to see some friends, Lynne and I continued to a garden centre and splashed out on more plants, compost and some small garden tools. By the time we got back home, it was lunch time, but after a quick bite to eat, we were out working at the railway.

obsy597.jpg

The first job was to dig more sand and compost into the embankment, to break up the clay soil. With that done, the exciting bit, planting. We couldn't get all the plants I'd picked out two weeks ago, so had to get some alternatives, but it all worked out.

obsy598.jpg

It took a little rethinking of where some of the plants would go, because the replacements were the wrong colour or would spread further or not as far as planned. Obviously they need to grow and fill out the area properly, so it still looks a bit thin for now. The pictures below show the completed embankment, one with all the plants identified.

obsy599.jpg

All around the back of the planted area, we sowed wildflower seeds, to form a backdrop to the rest. We also bought five more spreading plants, to continue the plants along the hawthorn hedge, up to the garage. That's thirty four along seventy feet of hedge.

obsy602.jpg

Back