My first

railroaderboy

Friend = U.P.S. Man
I am building a gorre and daphetid as my first layout with track lans i found. I have a bunch of atlas pre-cut rail left over from a previous project that i am now done with. Just about all of it is out of the packaging and i have decided that the best thing to use is flex-track. What would you recommend so that I get most of the money I can back? Also, What would you recommend for the turnouts. I'm thinking #4 since that is the smallest thing there is. If you would please help, thank you.

Since this is a first layout you may want to use the sectional track for the curves. Use the flex track for the longer more straight or gently curving sections.

Tight curves would be fitting for the G&D, but if you have space it's always good to try to use longer turnouts off the mainline when possible, #6s, and save the tighter radius turnouts for industrial spurs and things.

If the sectional track is nickel silver and in reasonably good shape, there's no sense in not using it, since it has virtually no resale value. I agree with Dameon that it's generally easier for beginners to get good curves with sectional track than flex track. #4 switches will work but I agree that #6 switches, at least on the main, will make your life less aggravating. Building the G&D for your first layout is quite a challenge. I assume you aren't going to attempt the entire thing at once. John started off with a small layout and then expanded, a good path for beginners to follow.

I am building a gorre and daphetid as my first layout with track lans i found. ... Also, What would you recommend for the turnouts. I'm thinking #4 since that is the smallest thing there is.
If you are building the G&D from original track plans you have to use #4. Otherwise it won't fit.

I have a bunch of atlas pre-cut rail left over from a previous project that i am now done with. Just about all of it is out of the packaging and i have decided that the best thing to use is flex-track. What would you recommend so that I get most of the money I can back?
Nothing. Used sectional track has almost zero retail value.

I'm only building the original. I do have some experience with scenery (I have messed around in the t-trak), but I haven't done any track laying practice.

I've almost completed track laying for a small layout based on the original G&D track plan. I am using #5 and #7 turnouts and had to modify the plan a bit to make it work.

- Jeff

Back