My first model in years

Nhwilliams0

Ok, so starting off in this hobby I was not only excited about the trains themselves, but the prospect of working on my scenery and models. This is the first model I bought for my layout and I have painted and weathered it to the best of my abilities. I would love some tips and/or feedback on it.

-Nick

Hey, I just bought that kit! Nick really nice build. The best of your abilities are pretty darn good. I plan on doing mine to be a much better maintained landmark mansion at a focal point of my smaller town. I, like you tend to focus on structures and scenery. The trains are just props. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Thanks guys! I'm not using it as the Psycho house either per say, although it is still (as you can tell by the look of it) going to be a spooky focal point. I plan on this house being on a hill overlooking a cemetery. Has anyone used the woodland scenics cemetery kit? I saw it online the other day and thought about kit bashing it for my purposes. Like I said, this was my first attempt, so hopefully my artistry will improve lol.

-Nick

I've got some WS tombstones I've paired with a small Life-like church. They're nice little details. It's an area that needs to be redone on my layout. I like your idea with the house on the hill.

I like it! Congrats as well to Polar Lights or whatever company re-did the Aurora kit. I can only hope that that company will re-release other Aurora kits as well. The gas station, the church, and of course...the railroad station.

The current release is a product of 'Round Two' but is labeled 'Polar Lights' My understandind (sorry, it complicated, but I'm into this stuff) is that PL in the 80s re-released old Aurora kits (and several new ones) They were purchased by Ertl which then folded their model divisions PL & AMT. Round Two 'rents' the molds from Ertl for AMT, PL and MPC. Which they then release under the older company's banners. So far this is the only kit that could be regarded as RR related. I've never seen any indication that the original PL and thus Ertl ever had possesion of the Aurora RR item molds.

The Aurora gas station and railroad station were apparently bought by Tyco; their brown box built-up gas station and passenger station are the Aurora models. The kits for these two models have not been on the market for a long time. It would be nice to see them again.

Looks just great Nick. As you move along I'm sure you'll discover all the little detail things like people and so on that really bring a building or a scene to life. In the mean time I'd say you are off to a very good start!

That's what I'm hoping. I'm a fairly "crafty" person most of the time and have some artistic background to draw from. We'll really see how well I can do when I get into slicing and shaping all of this foam I have piled in my spare room lol.
-Nick

Back