My First Attempt at Weathering a Locomotive!

WC 7499

kick 'em
Well... I bought my buddies airbrush and all the goodies that go with it a month or so back and finally got the balls to use it on a locomotive. Not one of my WC or CN units but a throwback Atlas NS GP38 I picked up for 35 bucks at a train show. I tried to follow photos but I didn't want to really dirty it up so I toned it down a bit. I like the results for the most part!

Here it goes.....

Before:
6e6cbb7743c6ba5af26352f0320e4767.jpg

After:
576f0e018096477f42ccade904472d53.jpg

Let me know what you think! Good or bad! :)

-Steve

I think it looks great!! Nice job!! Its amazing how much more details stand out with a little weathering :D

wow the before pic just looks so blah, the after looks amazing i hope my first attempt comes out that good.

So engines just look good dirty, while others look good shiny lol.

Ah, the real Norfolk Southern. :) I think the general toning down of the model and the moderate amount of road grime came out just about perfect. You get an A plus for your first effort.

Looks way better than the "toy-like" before picture :) Amazing what some basic weathering will do. Now mask off the intake grills and give them a light to moderate covering of grimy black ;)

Thanks for all the compliments guys. I'm not satisfied with it. The more I look at it the more flaws I find. By next week I will have another pic for you guys!

Thanks again!

-Steve

Back