My as yet unnamed n scale layout

My eyes did not see that at all when I first looked at it. I guess I should have looked closer before I guessed.

Are you wanting both tracks to server the same industry or are they meant to serve separate industries? A switchback on the one to the left might add a little interest.
It's all good. It's kind of hard to tell in that shot anyway. N scale vehicles are so tiny.

I was thinking about using both for the same building. I'd like to have a second industry and a town, but I don't know if they will both fit and not look cluttered.

Since I am still new at this I'm not 100% certain what you mean by a switchback.

Jesse

Can anyone tell me the difference between a #4 and a #6 turnout? I'm trying to figure out which one will be best for this track plan.

Jesse

Can anyone tell me the difference between a #4 and a #6 turnout? I'm trying to figure out which one will be best for this track plan.

Jesse

Here's a good article on track:
https://www.nmra.org/beginner/track

In simple terms, the number of a turnout tells you how far you need to go along the straight leg to get one unit of measurement away on the diverging leg. To oversimplify things: On a #4 turnout you need to go 4 inches along the straight leg to have the diverging leg be 1 inch away. On a #6 turnout you need to go 6 inches away to have the diverging leg one inch away. On a #8, 8 inches, etc.
Simply put, the smaller the number, the sharper the turn of the diverging leg. #4 turnouts take up less space than a #6, but larger locomotives may have trouble on them due to the sharp turning radius. If you have smaller 4 axles locomotives and shorter rolling stock, #4's present few problems. A big modern 6 axle diesel pulling 85 foot passenger cars may have some issues, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I am still new at this I'm not 100% certain what you mean by a switchback.
Switchback, a track arrangement where the train must reverse direction to access or proceed through.
acl-csx layout switchback.jpg

Switchback, a track arrangement where the train must reverse direction to access or proceed through.
View attachment 64703
Ok, I see what you mean now. That's a possibility. If I could combine the switchback with a small passing siding, I could put a small building in the town scene that could have access for a single car.

Jesse

Here's a good article on track:
https://www.nmra.org/beginner/track

In simple terms, the number of a turnout tells you how far you need to go along the straight leg to get one unit of measurement away on the diverging leg. To oversimplify things: On a #4 turnout you need to go 4 inches along the straight leg to have the diverging leg be 1 inch away. On a #6 turnout you need to go 6 inches away to have the diverging leg one inch away. On a #8, 8 inches, etc.
Simply put, the smaller the number, the sharper the turn of the diverging leg. #4 turnouts take up less space than a #6, but larger locomotives may have trouble on them due to the sharp turning radius. If you have smaller 4 axles locomotives and shorter rolling stock, #4's present few problems. A big modern 6 axle diesel pulling 85 foot passenger cars may have some issues, though.
Thanks for the info. I've seen several different turnouts for my track, some with #s and some without, so I didn't know which I needed. The ones without #s are the cheapest and since they are only for sidings I can probably get away with using them.

Jesse

Back