My as yet unnamed n scale layout

ACL-CSX

Founder, NHRR; Founder, Nathan's Crossroads
It doesn't look much like a railroad yet, but I'm going to share a few pics anyway. I'm trying to decide which plan I like best. I welcome your feedback and comments.

Scale vehicle included for size perspective. I plan to paint this car car red and white (unless I can find one in that scheme) and hide it in the layout somewhere, doing something it shouldn't. (Kudos to anyone that gets the reference.)
8272d93d8080df34c203669063af91b5.jpg
f3efdd4a88178a06745d717207909fd7.jpg
d86af9d0c244610ea10f0cc46b31bbb7.jpg

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

If I go with the first plan, I'll probably run a drainage ditch between the two industries. If I go with the second, I'll have a few more options for switching operations and I'll put the start of a downtown scene in the open space to the left.

I do too. Since it's going to be this size for the foreseeable future, I want a track layout that will allow operations as well as space to add the other touches that make a model railroad more realistic. Like a town with people and vehicles.

I just need to figure out how to get the two sidings closer together. I want enough space for my downtown scene, but I don't want to make them so close as to affect operations.

I also forgot to mention here that I am using Bachmann EZ Track. I know it's not the best choice, but it came with the set and I don't have to ballast it. Or start from scratch buying new track.

With EZ-track, I'm not sure there's a lot you can do without using a moto-tool with a cutoff blade on the tracks. And there's nothing wrong with your track choice for a first layout. As you get more involved with the hobby you may find it somewhat limiting, but it's what you have so by all means use it.

That's what I'm seeing in my search for pieces. It'll do for now because it's going to get the train rolling and let me start building. When I get ready to make the jump to DCC and go larger on the layout I'll look at other options.

Jesse

I do like steam, but I'm used to seeing diesels. That's all that's been around since I was a kid. Except at museums and special excursion trains. I will agree that the early diesels do have more character than the newer ones though. When space allows I want to model the ACL Champion from Jacksonville to Charleston.

Jesse

It doesn't look much like a railroad yet, but I'm going to share a few pics anyway. I'm trying to decide which plan I like best. I welcome your feedback and comments.
I like the second one better. But does Bachmann EZ track have a crossings (60 degrees and 90 degrees) that you could put in a spur going the other direction? Would make it much more interesting both visually and operationally.
ACL-CSX track plan.png

hide it in the layout somewhere, doing something it shouldn't. (Kudos to anyone that gets the reference.)
'60 chevy - Rod Seger, Night Moves. I didn't realize the car was red.

I like the second one better. But does Bachmann EZ track have a crossings (60 degrees and 90 degrees) that you could put in a spur going the other direction? Would make it much more interesting both visually and operationally.
View attachment 64541

'60 chevy - Rod Seger, Night Moves. I didn't realize the car was red.
I think they do. I'm not sure on how to set them up tho. Still learning beyond the basic oval. Lol.

And I'm sorry, but that is not the correct car or movie. Good guess though.

Jesse

In the second plan can you move the right switch one more section to the right and put the building in between the two tracks? That would give the feel of two separate locations.

In the second plan can you move the right switch one more section to the right and put the building in between the two tracks? That would give the feel of two separate locations.
I think that would work. If I go with the first plan I can do two separate buildings, but it won't leave much room for a town center.

Jesse

Christine. Nuff said lol!!!!
Plan 2 with the crossovers.
And we have a winner! I'm definitely leaning toward plan 2. Need to figure out the crossovers tho. I like the idea. Just can't visualize a good way to do it in the space available.

When you stop by the diner tomorrow, tell Flo the coffee and donut are on my tab.

Jesse

That is a model of a 1958 Plymouth?
Yes it is. A Plymouth Fury to be exact. I have to figure out how to get the trunk lid closed and get it painted white over red, then I can set her to cruising the streets and causing trouble.

Jesse

I just need to figure out how to get the two sidings closer together. I want enough space for my downtown scene, but I don't want to make them so close as to affect operations.

Add a short straight section of track immediately after the LH switch to bring the tracks closer together.

Willie

Add a short straight section of track immediately after the LH switch to bring the tracks closer together.

Willie
Thanks. I need to make a few more cardboard segments in the shorter sizes so that I can experiment with the little tweaks like that.

Jesse

Yes it is. A Plymouth Fury to be exact. I have to figure out how to get the trunk lid closed and get it painted white over red, then I can set her to cruising the streets and causing trouble.
My eyes did not see that at all when I first looked at it. I guess I should have looked closer before I guessed.

Are you wanting both tracks to server the same industry or are they meant to serve separate industries? A switchback on the one to the left might add a little interest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back